Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/4/17 14:40
I got a stupid citation for having a beer in my hand while being outside my friend's house. (This is in the US) Called: Public Open Container.

This is a non-criminal violation, as it was just a fine of 100 dollars, much like running a red light or stop sign. I have done a background check on myself, and nothing comes up.

My question is- is this something i should disclose on my application for my work visa to Japan? I have NO criminal record, as it is not a crime in Oregon. I already checked that out. Also, it is in the same boat as my two parking tickets. Haha

I have heard about people with 'real' criminal records marking 'no' on the question, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense in any country?" and nothing happening.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and say yes and get denied, and I don't want to lie about it and get auto-banned from coming altogether.

I have a lot riding on this, and this question worries me. I believe this question means felonies and misdemeanors, not violations like parking tickets and speeding tickets, and the such.

Thank you to anyone who reads this!
by JeetKuneJoe  

Re: Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/4/18 08:58
Japan has no way of obtaining your criminal record of any sort in the US. Don't even bother listing, otherwise you'll be grilled at length and your visa may be denied.
by tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/4/20 14:23
Dont worry. Its not big issue. But just mention it. More you are clear with immigration, you will be benefitted more.
Here in Japan, I saw many people with criminal record and married to Japanese and holding PR too. I dont know how come such people with criminal attitude(like overstaying) are entertained just because they are married to Japanese. Overstay may not be a major crime in Japan, but my country its serious crime.

Here, all people(Educated/uneducated/skilled/unskilled)will be counted in one category.
by Guest00 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/4/20 14:46
Dont worry. Its not big issue. But just mention it. More you are clear with immigration, you will be benefitted more.

Immigration probably doesn't care about such minor issues and I would consider not mentioning it. This is one of those cases where you will likely not benefit from being overly forthcoming with immigration, and frankly they probably can't find out anyway.

Here in Japan, I saw many people with criminal record and married to Japanese and holding PR too. I dont know how come such people with criminal attitude(like overstaying) are entertained just because they are married to Japanese.

A criminal record does not preclude you from getting married or obtaining PR. It is just one factor that is considered.

Overstay may not be a major crime in Japan, but my country its serious crime.

It is considered a very serious crime in Japan, typically punished with deportation and being barred from reentering the country for up to 5 years. After that you may be allowed to reenter though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/4/21 06:05
Thank you guys fro your input- much appreciated. I don't think they can find it either, and it sounds like you guys proved that. Im not going to disclose because if I get the COE, the visa matters are not a big deal.
Basically there is no way for them to find out and so I wont disclose it. Thank you!
by JeetKuneJoe rate this post as useful

Re: Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/5/31 17:20
JeetKuneJoe, any update on the situation? I am in the same boat with a traffic ticket.
by JD95 rate this post as useful

Re: Work Visa Application with a violation 2015/6/9 04:29
Not yet- I still have yet to get my degree (graduate next week), send that and my other documents to my company, who then get my COE from the MoJ. after that ill have my COE and be able to apply to the consulate in Portland

My guess tho, JD95, is that we are both fine. Dont mark yes, as they will see it as a crime. Everyone online that I have looked at, had an actual criminal record and not just an infraction/ violation like we have.

Hell, on of my friends got selected for JET, had a trespassing ticket and it didnt come up on his FBI check. Literally, if you didn't have the speeding ticket and you had parking ticket, you would be still in the same boat- but not even know it, cause who thinks of parking tickets in a visa app? haha

bottom line, we are both going to be fine.
by JeetKuneJoe (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread