Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do I need to declare? 2015/4/18 06:15
Hi, I'm due to fly to Japan for a two week holiday soon and was trying to find out what I need to declare when I enter the country.

Do I have to declare how much money I'm bring into the country or do I only do this if it's over a certain amount?

What about medication? I have the following prescription medication, Co-codamol, Naproxen and Omeprazole that I take for a back problem and I also have my birth control pill too. I intend to also take some over the counter paracetamol as I'm prone to headaches. Will I even be allowed to bring these into the country?

I've been searching the internet for a while now and haven't really gotten a clear answer so any advice is much appreciated

Thanks very much
by curious (guest)  

Re: What do I need to declare? 2015/4/18 17:25
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01...

See above info - if your meds contain codeine or other narcotics you need special permission...
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: What do I need to declare? 2015/4/18 20:11
Money is only above a certain amount, and only if it's in cash. I can't remember how much it is but it's pretty exorbitant! I wouldn't be too concerned there.

I can't help with the back medication (looks like the first answer might help), but I took my birth control pill (Levlen) with me and never saw anything on the customs form asking about this, so didn't declare. And I am very thorough with those forms! You'll be fine.

Make sure you have some sort of itinerary with you - the customs officers wanted to know what plans I had in detail (e.g. "Where are you going? How long?"). I showed them my calendar (I was there for a while, and am also a bit of an organising freak) and they loved it! They just want to know that you're clearly a tourist, so bring something that clearly shows that (list of hotel bookings, travel plans, etc.).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do I need to declare? 2015/4/19 00:52
If you intend to bring more than 1 million Yen(include cash, traveler's check and shares) you need to declare.

No need to declare your prescription medicine for personal use quantity. If you bring a large quantity of medicine other than you personal use, the officer suspects you bring them to sell in JP.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: What do I need to declare? 2015/4/19 01:57
A lot depends on your age, appearance, and country. I am older and from the U.S. I have entered Japan 21 times with 5 or 6 meds. They have never even looked at any bag. When they see the U.S. passport, they just wave me through.
Just don't offer any information. Say nothing unless asked.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: What do I need to declare? 2015/4/19 08:09
I totally endorse Dick H's comments. I travel on a New Zealand passport, have been coming and going from Japan often up to 5 times a year, since 1998 and have never been asked, just waived through. I'm middle aged, but haven't always been!!, and travel with 4-5 meds, mainly BP/Cholesterol nowadays, but when I was younger it was Birth control and OTC headache and antihistamine meds.
As Dick H says don't get into discussions, know your itinerary, and certainly know the address of your first nights stay, as you have to put that on the Immigration form given out on the aircraft, as well as the flight you are probably departing on.
Don't be fearful, Japan is a great country, and I'm sure you will love it.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread