Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/21 20:56
Some roads have only 1 lane but used for 2 ways traffic.
How to use the road? I see it quite a lot lately that I travel to rural Japan. Unlike in NZ there is a space that u can let the other car goes by and it's not that long. But in Japan there are such long and very narrow road.
Thanks
by kopbirt  

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 11:54
Nope, there is such a space. Wind down your windows. Hear any approaching signs of a vehicle especially near bends.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 13:37
How to drive - carefully.

I've encountered those roads (sometimes they look like driveways to a house), and a lot of the time there isn't much traffic. However, normally there should be somewhere slightly wider (or on the edge of the road) where one car can stop while the other passes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 16:23
How's about my car and the other car meet at the centre of the long and narrow road? Who should push back if there is no space to stop?
Thanks
by kopbirt rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 16:36
Who gives way to who? Probably the same as if you were here in NZ - you'd stop and work it out. Actually, the local guy would probably have a recommendation.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 18:31
It sounds confusing, but in practice there's almost always somewhere to pull out and it usually works out that whoever can move will move. It's a little harder if there is a lot of traffic, but just go slow and you'll work through it. And in many cases it may look too narrow, but there is actually plenty of room for two cars to pass.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 19:33
Often there are mirrors on bends, to show oncoming traffic. Use these where they're available. They're priceless.

Otherwise, remember to GO SLOWLY (speed limits in Japan are very low in any case), and to look as far ahead of you as you can at any chance you get where the road opens out a bit. It gives you a better chance of spotting oncoming vehicles that might be two or three bends ahead of you.

There are generally enough passing places, but you may have to reverse a bit to get to one.

My top tip is to hire a small (read "narrow") car if you've going to be driving on narrow roads.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/22 22:17
if you don't have a skill to drive your car reversely, you should not get in narrow roads.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to drive in a narrow road in Japan 2015/4/23 07:33
There is usually enough room for 2 cars to squeeze past each other somewhere on a stretch.. You basically find the widest spot and get to the side as far as possible and both come almost to a stop (often 1 car completely stops, which one is random from what I can tell but most often the inside lane if there is a mountain side involved). You may even have to fold your mirror back and the CAREFULLY inch past.. :-P
by basketcase rate this post as useful

reply to this thread