Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama half day tour 2015/4/23 14:37
Hi there,

It's my first time travelling to Kyoto and I'm planning for a half-day trip to Arashiyama area. Is the following itinerary do-able? I'll be travelling with a group of 5 - 1 child, 11 YO and elderly 60 YO.

Taking Hankyu railways and arrive at Hankyu Arashiyama station:

Walking around the following attractions:
1. cross over to Togetsukyo Bridge (30 mins)
2. Arashiyama Bamboo Forest (30 mins)
3. Tenryuji Temple (1 hour)
4. Walk to Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street (30 mins)
5. Lunch at Arashiyama Yoshimura (Soba)
6. Okochi Sanso Villa (KIV due to high entrance fee)
7. Travel to northern Kyoto for second half of the day
-e.g. Nijo castle, Ryoanji Temple

Could anyone kindly let me know whether my above itinerary
by Jolie (guest)  

Re: Arashiyama half day tour 2015/4/23 17:01
Sounds good. If you have time, I also recommend visiting Jizo-in while in Arashiyama and include Ninnaji when you're in the Kinkakuji/Ryoanji area.
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama half day tour 2015/4/23 19:41
Hi Saru,

Thanks for the response.
I didn't realise my message was cut off.
I wanted to clarify the distance between these attractions:
3. Tenryuji Temple (1 hour)
4. Walk to Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street (30 mins)

Is it walk-able from Tenryuji Temple to Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street? Approx how long does it take?
by Jolie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama half day tour 2015/4/23 21:25
It's very much walkable from Tenryu-ji. Not including any detours to temples and shops it should take around 30 mins to walk there, maybe a bit longer seeing you have kids with you.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama half day tour 2015/4/25 04:48
You can get through some places fairly quickly and see so many places in Arashiyama. The Togetsukyo Bridge you can be through in less than 10 minutes - there is not much to see except the cars and trucks rumbling past - it is nothing like the bridge in Iwakuni; historically relevant of course, but no need to linger there.
For Tenryuji the real joy is the garden - don't miss it. It is also just seconds from the bamboo grove.
If you can by all means see Gioji if you don't see Kokedera. Not large, but nice when the moss comes out after the spring rains. And one of the best places there is the Otagi Nenbutsuji - one of the most whimsical and unique places you will see in Japan - don't miss it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvtB_5jmjA
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread