Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 08:34
Hi Guys,

Iv been reading your forum for a while now as my trip has been getting closer and closer.

im posting this question because i have quite a tricky situation on my first night in japan , we fly into NRT at nearly 9pm (so im guessing by the time we clear immigration, security and get the NRT Express in to Tokyo it will be 11pm-12pm) and the following morning we get the early shinkansen to Osaka (6~am i believe) so therefore being on a "backpacking budget" i could not justify spending the small fortune on a hotel/hostel for essentially 5-6 hours (did i mention we fly in on the 30th/1st of April/may, golden week hence the insane price hike) , so therefore i plan to wander the streets and find somewhere to eat, relax and unwind for a while before we catch the train from Shinagawa in the morning.

So essentially what im after is an area witch is 24 hour , where i could get a cheap decent meal and as it will still be relatively cold maybe a warm bar or lounge where i can stay till the morning set down my back pack and have a few drinks and snacks and relax.(all preferably on the cheaper side of life.) also please consider that i will be with my wife so no "happy ending suggestions" :P

so far im considering Roppongi as my best option as basically once we get in we are stuck where we get off due to the midnight trail curfew ,and it seems the closest to Shinagawa for our morning transit and also seems to be one of "the places to be" for late night action.

all suggestions welcome , even if they are only a warm place to rest/sleep (ie transit lounge etc) or just a 24 hour Tokyo favorite restaurant of yours.also if you have any inside info on transit ,NRT or any other tips and tricks.

i have researched reasonably intensely but other than your usual "late night in Tokyo" post there isn't much out there for someone wanting to "pull an all nighter" in Tokyo.

thanks in advance

#globalbackpacker
by globalbackpacker  

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 11:36
How about taking the 1000 yen Access Narita bus into Tokyo and then trying something unique like a capsule hotel, manga cafe, or love hotel? I'm also seeing some reasonably priced hotels on Rakuten for that evening too.

http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 11:45
thanks for the reply yllwsmrf,

great sugestions but we have purchased a JR Pass so the NTX is free for us , as for the hotels/capsuel hotels ,i would happily spend that rate on food/drink ,also my wife and i both work night shift so we will be up anyway so sleep is not the issue

Thanks again for your reply
by globalbackpacker rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 13:31
What time do you land and which terminal? The Terminal 2 exchange office closes at 9:45, which is a little tight if your flight lands at 9:00. You might not have time to get your railpass activated.

as for the hotels/capsuel hotels ,i would happily spend that rate on food/drink ,also my wife and i both work night shift so we will be up anyway so sleep is not the issue

Maybe all night karaoke then? Depending on the place, they can be pretty cheap on a thursday night.

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 13:42
thanks yllwsmrf ,

i did see the 21:45 close time the plane lands at 20:46 that gives me an hour so i think if i hustle ill make it but you never know

as for the karaoke i was thinking down those lines , either there or a bar as you said it shouldn't be to expensive on a Thursday , iv only been to Tokyo once so i only have a general idea of whats going on .

Thanks again

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 14:11
i did see the 21:45 close time the plane lands at 20:46 that gives me an hour so i think if i hustle ill make it but you never know

That's better. Should be ok as long as you aren't delayed, but also good to have a backup plan.

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 14:18
Yeah ill keep it in mind thanks

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 15:55
An airport hotel (for two) will run you Y8,000 (as cheap as a capsule).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 15:58
its still $85au , thats alot of money for 4~ hours , thats $21au per hour.............. i can think of WAY better ways to spend that type of money ;) ............ thanks tho , i did look at that initially

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 16:02
You can afford the plane and JR Pass but you cannot afford a night?
I would recommend taking the night train to Osaka. It reaches at about 6 am in the morning.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 16:09
its not that i cant afford it , its just thta i dont exactly see the "amazing value" in $21 an hour , if i proposed you a deal , where i would give you $85 to walk around tokyo for 5 hrs , would you do it ?

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 16:11
There's a difference between being able to afford the hotel, and wanting to pay for such a short stay. I presume its the latter situation with the OP.

Btw, the night train doesn't stop in Osaka so I would just go by Shinkansen in the morning if you have a rail pass.

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/27 16:16
thankyou yllwsmrf,

this is what i came to , its simply not worth it for the short stay , if i didnt have obligations in Osaka i would have spent a couple of days in Tokyo and then moved to Osaka but im Meeting someone there on the first.

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/28 01:35
I was just going to say you might be able to take Night Bus to Osaka but that might make the Japan Rail Pass not worth it depends how the rest of your itinerary goes and it looks like it is sold out by now.

Otherwise Karaoke, Internet cafe, some bars might be open late or 24 hours, some Don Quijote are 24 hours if you want to start shopping right away, and more. Just keep in mind that last trains are usually just after midnight and doesn't start again until about 430am. So any travelling during that time will only be expensive taxi or just walk around i guess.
I would head to Tokyo station first from NEX and then drop off luggage at the lockers, there should be a lot at that time and then pick them up the next day before the Shinkansen ride. Also keep in mind the the locker fee will count 2 days cost when you pick it up.

Hope this helps!!!
Have Fun!!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/28 02:11
Have you tried looking at this place, which is near shinagawa

http://www.heiwajima-onsen.jp/en/index.html

As other have suggested, you can try a love hotel for 3-4 hours, they have them all around the country.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/4/28 08:02
Thanks Guys,

Great suggestions , i didn't even think of a 24 hr spa , great idea , , shame its not mixed , but i can happily look past that.

Thanks again , keep the suggestions coming.

Re: Cheap 24hr Tokyo spots 2015/5/13 08:24
I second the 24hr spa. Just beware that there is a late night charge per person.
by kooritsuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread