Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/4/27 18:24
Hello!

A few questions re the Romancecar:
1. Since there is food sold on-board, are passengers allowed to bring food from outside, like bento bought from the station?
2. Are there toilets on-board?

To, Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/4/27 19:06
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/4/27 22:31
Re: Observation Deck

I know if I book the Super Hakone VSE Romancecar there is a front and rear observation deck cars. Presumely Shinjuku to
Hakone I should get the front observation deck.

How about when I book the Hakone-Shinjuku Super Hakone VSE? Would the rear observation deck be better for this? What do the seats face if it's the rear observation deck? Backward? I'm not sure what the rear observation deck look like..
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/4/27 23:10
Front and rear cars are identical.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/3 16:40
We have just travelled this journey. We could only get one observation car seat. Frankly I wouldn't stress if you don't get a seat in the observation car. The view and ambience was just as good in the carriage. It appears that children could sit on the lap of parents so the observation car was fairly crowded!
by Broulee rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/3 17:29
is there a big difference from romance car and odakyu train?
how can we get the observation deck?is there additional cost for observation deck?
by red (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/3 23:37
Romance car is faster and more comfortable with regular 2X2 seating. The regular express trains have bench seats.
You need to reserve the front seats at least several days ahead and there is an extra charge.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/15 18:06
hi,

does EXE romancecar also have toilet and is it comparable to VSE? thanks.
by esther (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/15 18:46
esther,

EXE Romance Car also has toilets.

Comparable? I believe I have used both VSE and EXE, and found them both comfortable. I actually found the newer VSE "angled" seating somewhat unsettling :)

http://www.odakyu.jp/romancecar/line_up/

red,

"Romance Car" is the nickname for Odakyu railway's limited express trains. So Romance Car is faster than "local" or "rapid" Odakyu trains.

Romance Cars require reservations, and as observation deck seats are popular, they tend to sell out faster that you will need to book some days ahead.

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/15 20:36
Hi thanks for the info because I saw reviews saying that leg space is not as comfortable but she didn't mentioned which romancecar she took. So which has more space for leg space. Thanks.
by esther (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/15 21:56
Hi,
What do you mean VSE seats are 'angled' seats?

Mel
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto 2015/5/16 08:24
Mel,

Usually train seats are facing straight ahead in the direction of the travel, right? VSE's regular seats are angled (by 5 degrees according to Odakyu website) toward the windows so you get better view, they say. I should say it felt just a bit "unusual" :)

esther,
I don't know which has more leg room (we are of average Japanese height, and find any of Romance Car comfortable).

reply to this thread