Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/4/28 12:43
Hi, I'll be visiting Sapporo from 11 May 2015. I referred to the Sakura blooming forecast in Japan Guide, the last day of best viewing in Sapporo is on 2 May 2015. I will be late for it. Any recommendation on where else further in Hokkaido to visit to be able see the bloom? Thanks!
by Cathy (guest)  

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/4/29 09:43
Looks like it opened on April 22 and will peak any day now 28,29,30. Usually less than one week after peak would put it max May 6...

I am afraid you will miss the Sakura season

Always next time though!

Have fun in Japan!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/4/29 17:21
When I went to Rishiri and Rebun Island, I was told that sakura usually bloom in June there.

You might be able to catch a few in the northeastern part of Hokkaido, e.g. Wakkanai, though I'm not sure. You might want to check here: http://sakura.yahoo.co.jp/spot/area/1/?m=1
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/4/29 19:06
Moerenuma Park in Sapporo has a lot of late-flowering cherry trees (not quite the same as the regular cherry trees, but still nice). In addition to the trees, it is an outstanding park:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5313.html

Alternatively, you would probably have to travel towards northern (Wakkanai) or eastern (Kushiro/Nemuro) Hokkaido in order to still catch the blossoms.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/4/29 19:14
Hi all, thank you for all the replies and suggestions... If I were to travel towards Kushiro, may I know where are the places where the sakura trees are planted? Many thanks in advance. (:
by Cathy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/4/30 07:36
The sakura forecast is a bit misleading as it refers to a particular type of tree (with five petal blossoms). The late blooming trees are also impressive and were in great form when we visited Ogawara (Sendai) recently.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/5/2 12:01
What the Japanese call "yamazakura" (I think is the same as "kwanzan" trees in English) will still be blooming around Sapporo through the 3rd week in May and later in the higher elevations. You can check them out around the Akarenga Old Government House.
http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/find/history/former_hokkaido_govern...
I find this variety more common than the southern variety in Hokkaido.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late for Sakura in Sapporo. Where else to go? 2015/5/3 11:28
What the Japanese call "yamazakura" (I think is the same as "kwanzan" trees in English)

Yamazakura and Kwanzan are not the same. Yamazakura is the most common native cherry tree in Japan. Among the yamazakura, there are again different types, including the Ezo-Yamazakura which is commonly seen in Hokkaido. The Ezo-Yamazakura flowers around the same time as Somei Yoshino, and their season is currently coming to an end in Sapporo. It still can be seen from now in more northern and eastern areas of Hokkaido. Yamazakura have five petals per blossom.

Kwanzan (or Kanzan) is one of the most common type of the many many yaezakura (or satozakura) cherry tree varieties which have been cultivated by humans. It flowers about two weeks later than the Ezo-Yamazakura and Somei Yoshino. Moerenuma Park is my recommendation for seeing these late-flowering types in Sapporo. The late-flowering trees have 20-100 petals per blossom. They come in many colors. The Kanzan is deep pink.

Some basics:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_species.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread