Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

changing flights at Narita Airport 2015/5/3 07:10
Hello!
I should arrive at 10:30 AM with an Alitalia flight in Narita airport (Terminal 1, from what I found on-line) and I want to catch a flight to Kansai airport with Jetstar (Terminal 3) that leaves at 12:00. Is this doable in any way that doesn't involve teleportation? I have always felt like I was the master of ‚¬‚肬‚è, but this time I'm afraid it's not possible. Not sure how much time I need from the arrivals gate in T1 to internal departures gate in T3, I will also need to retrieve my luggage and check in.
As well, I've entered Japan with an "alien card" in the past, but this will be the first time I will come with a tourist visa - could someone tell me what kind of formalities there are and how much time they should take now?
Thanks a lot!
Monica
by m0nyqu3  

Re: changing flights at Narita Airport 2015/5/3 13:06
It is difficult but not impossible. The fact that Jetstar Japan has a stricter check-in policy than other airlines does not help (they require you to check in by 30 minutes before departure as opposed to the more common 15 minute-policy by other airlines).

A lot will depend on whether your arriving plane will be delayed or not (or arrive ahead of the scheduled arrival time) and whether the airport is busy during the time of your arrival.

Typically, it takes about 20-60 minutes from arrival until you passed through immigration and picked up your bags (more during very busy times). Then, it will take another 15-30 minutes to get to T3 where you have to be at least 30 minutes before the departure of your Jetstar plane.

So, if everything goes well, you can make the connection. But there is a very high risk that you don't make the connection. And I believe Jetstar is not cooperative, at all, when it comes to missed flights.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: changing flights at Narita Airport 2015/5/3 13:10
Consensus on Japanese travel forums seems to be that 1 hour and 30 minutes is not enough. You should check with your local travel agent what they recommend.

Even within a non-LCC, same airline groups, they recommend "minimum" of 75 minutes at Narita between international arrival and domestic departure. Since you are trying to catch an LCC, you will definitely need more time (changing to Terminal 3).

Another thing is - you can always take trains to get to Osaka (unless you are transferring to another international flight from Kansai).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: changing flights at Narita Airport 2015/5/3 13:20
Risky.

Last few times arriving it's been less than 60 minutes from landing (deplaning) to exiting into the arrivals hall. Immigration would probably not be the hold-up, but luggage pickup might be. (you might want to check on a flight tracker website if your plane normally arrives early or late (and if it's a busy time of day with other arrivals.)

Fastest way to T3 from T1 would be taxi (find one, jump in and go), you wouldn't have much time to mess about.

In our part of the world Jetstar makes a nice profit from people that do not check in 30 minutes before their flight.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: changing flights at Narita Airport 2015/5/3 14:53
Wouldnft recommend it, at all.
You need your flight to be on time, your baggage to come off quickly, and minimal queues everywhere.
Youfll need to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3: not an inconsiderable time: I agree, grab a taxi
Then, IF you get there in under an hour, ie in time for, and actually manage to, Jetstar check in, youfll need to get through Security: if the Domestic security at Terminal 3 is anything like the International one was 2 weeks ago is is SLOW: took us 20+ minutes just to get through the screaming officials and queues: most unJapanese experience ever. Awful.
So, not so sure your plan is optimal.
Good luck.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: changing flights at Narita Airport 2015/5/3 16:16
Five days ago I checked into Terminal 3 for Jetstar. The checkin at Jetstar was the easy part. The security checking for domestic was extremely slow. You would need to factor in at least 20 minutes. There were plenty of staff but all duplicating the tasks and it was not at all streamlined and professional. They did not have a process to fast track anyone who was very close to departure. The word "shambles" comes to mind.
by Broulee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread