Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu Peninsula / trips from tokyo 2015/5/4 11:55
Hi,

I am planning to travel to Tokyo in early Sep.
Last year, I visited Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka area.
In another trip many years ago, I have been to Nikko and Hakone, as well.
For this trip, I am thinking of checking out the Izu Peninsula.
Will 3D2N driving around the peninsula be sufficient?
What are the to-do activities?

I would appreciate any other suggestions/advice on trips around Tokyo. Thank you for your help!
by siokyin  

Re: Izu Peninsula / trips from tokyo 2015/5/4 15:00
We drove around the Izu Peninsula for 4-5 days and still had not seen all we wanted to see and do. Where to go and what to see really depends on individual preference and available time.

For us sites that stand out are: Shuzen-ji, Joren-no-taki, Toi Gold Mine, Koibito-Misaki and Koganezaki, Dogashima and Sanshirojima, Sawada Park and Sawada rotenburo, Matsu-zaki, Hagachizaki Monkey Paradise, Iro-zaki, Yumigahama, Shimoda, Shirahama, Kawazu (for sakura), Kawazu-Nanadaru, Atagawa Banana-Wanien, Jogasaki Coast and Kadowaki-zaki, Izu Cactus Park, Ippeki-ko, Ito and Atami.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula / trips from tokyo 2015/5/4 18:25
Personally, I love the Izu Peninsula.

I've never driven around Izu, but have travelled around it extensively. As such, I'd probably suggest catching a train to Atami or possibly Mishima. Then, hire a car from there. The amount of traffic from Tokyo to Atami/Mishima will be extensive so catching the train to here will save you a lot of time, hassle and $$.

On the first day, I would probably drive down the east coast down to Shimoda. On the way, I'd probably stop at:

1) Mt Omuro
2) Lake Ippikiko (can miss this one)
3) Jogasaki Coast
4) Shimoda Park (can miss)

Other possibilities
1) Kawazu Falls
2) Shirahama Beach

Stay the Night @ Shimoda

On the second day, I would

1) Possible sunrise at Shirahama Beach
2) Irozaki Coast

Then, I would stay at either Dogashima (sleepy ocean town) or Shuzenji (onsen town). Note that many places in Izu have onsens.

On the third day, I'd drive up the West Coat stopping possibly at the Toi Gold and the Izu Nagaoka Ropeway. The ropeway has a nice view of Fuji if it is clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuragiyama_Ropeway

On another note - my favourite place to stay in Izu is in Ito and it's reasonably priced. However, it does not really agree with your driving schedule.

If you have any more questions, just ask
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread