Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/8 14:51
I might be offered the following job, and I wanted to hear your guys' honest opinions on this...

They're telling me to get over there as soon as possible on a tourist visa, and the work visa will be in the process after I've started teaching.

Company: KBS
City: Kitakyushu-shi, Fukuoka-ken (–k‹ãBŽsA•Ÿ‰ªŒ§)
Position: full-time ALT
Students: JR H.S.
Typical schedule: 8:00 - 17:00, M-F
Salary paid 2 weeks into the next month (for previous month's work)
Apartment arranged, and up to $2,000 to be paid upfront (covers key money, 2 months rent prepaid). Apartment has basic furnishings.
Hotel expenses covered in case necessary.

Company does not give any benefits; no transportation costs reimbursed; healthcare insurance will start in September (about 2 months after I start working, no insurance until then). It will be about $350 out of my paycheck.

No airfare reimbursed. Casual clothing, teaching alongside Japanese teacher.

Only benefit (really) is getting paid $1,000 in August and not work at all.

How much money will I need to live there per month (realistically)??? I'm frugal, and only buy things I need. Again, this is Kita Kyushu city.

Does this offer sound shady? They're asking me to leave within like next week if offered a position.
any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
by alexg94  

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/8 15:48
They're telling me to get over there as soon as possible on a tourist visa, and the work visa will be in the process after I've started teaching.

Which is illegal...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/8 15:57
that's what i said to them!! they said to me it's ok because it changed 2 years ago, and the visa process will take up to 3 weeks?!? the first week will be training
by alexg94 rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/8 16:53
they said to me it's ok because it changed 2 years ago, and the visa process will take up to 3 weeks?!?

No, the process hasn't changed. Only the durations of stay. It is still illegal to work while a temporary visitor. BTW, visa conversion could take much longer. Depends on the season, immigration office, and your company.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/8 18:10
It stil is illegal to work on a temporary visitor status. You cannot start working until you are granted the work status, even after the application has been filed.

Oh, but you say September is "2 months after I start working," so they want you to come over now (May), they apply for your work visa (May/June), and start you only in July, when they expect to have the outcome already?

And they want to start you on health insurance only from September? You would want to be covered either by their health insurance or your traveler's insurance until then :(
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/8 18:43
The work hours and pay are fine (the hours are actually pretty good as they're weekdays only) but the visa thing is a real worry as is the health insurance. Any company in Japan that employs foreigners without sorting out the required visa ahead of time is dodgy.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/9 01:00
well, i can ask them all of this.. but is KBS an accredited business? on the internet people say they're "average"

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/5/29 11:34
It sounds a bit shady, but so are all companies in terms of the visa part. The companies in the area are hurting and trying anything coz they are desperate to get people working in the kitakyushu area. Did they tell you about the fact that you will only have a contract till end of feb? Kitakyushu has been 8 month contracts for 3 years now. So, work is jun to feb. Not a full year and they wont give you a salary during the 3 months without work.
by ericson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/6/17 13:45
Did you take the offer? Kbs will pagoda you around quite a bit. It should be a stepping stone to get as better job.
by Json44 rate this post as useful

Re: Is this ALT-offer risky? 2015/6/17 17:09
no, otherwise i would have been in japan almost a month ago
they were asking me to come over less than 2 days after giving me the offer. they wanted me to come over on a tourist visa and wait till it processes into a work visa WHILE i'm already working.

reply to this thread