Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I give Shiretoko a miss if can't trek? 2015/5/9 01:58
I am traveling with two old parents and two young kids. We are planning to visit the eastern side of Hokkaido in June. We do not have many days in Hokkaido so trying to cover a bit of everything that summer can offer. I am also trying not to put too long drive for each day. Currently my itinerary is as below.

Day 1. Chitose airport (noon) - drive to Otaru (stay Otaru)
Day 2. Otaru - furano - biei - Asahikawa (stay Asahikawa)
Day 3. Asahikawa - sounkyo - Katami (stay Katami)
Day 4. Katami - Abashin - Utoro (stay Utoro)
Day 5. Utoro - Shiretoko Pass - Utoro (stay Utoro)
Day 6. Utoro - Lake Akan (stay Lake Akan)
Day 7. Lake Akan - Kushiro - obihiro (stay obihiro)
Day 8. Obihiro - Chitose (stay Chitose)
Day 9. Fly off

My old parents and my kids can't do much trekking or hiking, I was wondering if I should give shiretoko a miss since to access the beautiful nature of the park requires trekking. Can I still see the beauty of the shiretoko park through driving?

Pls advice, so that I could channel the days appropriately.
Thank you

by Mb (guest)  

Re: Should I give Shiretoko a miss if can't trek? 2015/5/9 17:58
Your schedule looks quite packed considering with who you're travelling.
Otaru - Biei - Furano - Asahikawa in one day? That's gonna be very rushed.

You can do Shiretoko. There's even a barrier-free route, although you won't be able to see all the lakes, but the most beautiful one, so I wouldn't skip it! You can also take a boat cruise! :)

More info here: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/hokkaido-in-summer/
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Should I give Shiretoko a miss if can't trek? 2015/5/9 19:02
It does look amazingly packed for that otaru furano biei day. The rest seems fine enough. If you leave and sleep to maximize hours

You could choose to skip either biei or furano
Seeing the lavender fields is enough. No need to see them all. If you do have some time, you could throw in the star tree and blue pond. The driving will be long on this day
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I give Shiretoko a miss if can't trek? 2015/5/10 01:47
Thanks for the input.
Indeed the 1st day will be long driving day. Plan to leave otaru in the morning 9:30am and hopefully arrive Furano around noon. Possible? I do not have any specific place to visit in furano except Farm Tomita, I am presuming that driving from furano to Ashikawa I would able to see flower along the way. Thanks for letting me know the blue pond at Biei. Do you think I would still have time to take the rope way at Asahidake and get to Asahikawa before 6pm?

For Shiretoko, what is the cost for taking the boat ride to see the scenery? Do I need to prebook the boat tix? Hotels in utoro seem to be a little bit more expensive, is there other place to stay around Shiretoko?
If i just drive through the Shiretoko pass towards Rashu, how long would it take ? Can I stop along the Shiretoko pass to take photos.. Is the view along Shiretoko pass great? Or it is better to drive into the Shiretoko peninsula park instead of driving by the Shiretoko pass?

by Mb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I give Shiretoko a miss if can't trek? 2015/5/10 17:05
Forget about doing Otaru, Furano, Biei and Asahidake in one day. Not possible!

There are several different boat trips in Shiretoko, smaller ones where you even might get wet and then huge ships, so prices vary. For the smaller boats you have to book in advance or you might not get to ride them. Just google for it to see the various tours they offer. :)

I would stay in Utoro. Everything else is quite far away and you want to reduce the time you spend in the car driving back and forth, trust me.
I don't know about the Shiretoko Pass. It was closed when I was there as there was a typhoon the day before. ^^;
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Should I give Shiretoko a miss if can't trek? 2015/5/10 18:46
I was wondering if I could gain a day by returning the car at Kushiro, on Day 8, skipping Obihiro totally and take a train from Kushiro to new Chitose on Day 8, stay over at Chitose for the next day early morning flight home.

How long is the train ride from Kushiro to Chitose? It is convinent to take a train with my old n young?

If I can gain a day by doing this, Day2 instead of staying at Asahikawa.. Where would be a better break? Furano or Biei?

by Mb (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread