Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/13 01:59
Hi everyone!

This is my itinerarie to/from Kagoshima, not sure if it is well balanced so opinions are always welcome.

KUMAMOTO-KAGOSHIMA
SAKURAJIMA-KAGOSHIMA
YAKUSHIMA
YAKUSHIMA
KAGOSHIMA-TOKYO

Perhaps I could extend one day else and I wish to visit one of the southern islands as kikajima,moron or mishima but I did not find any information about ferry timetable and fares.

I wish to know as well if I have to book in advance the accomodation,I will travel on November.

Thanks in advance to everyone.
by Rober (guest)  

Re: Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/13 15:29
Late november everyone is massmigrating to Kyoto and Tokyo. They may be some going to Kyushu for autumn colors.

But the areas highlighted are not populat for autumn colors so you are safe.
Yakushima peak season in summer and down season in winter so you are good there too.

Maybe the title of this post should be things to do in Kyushu.

As to whether your plans are well balanced, I have been to Yakushima and was greatly disappointed. The walking trails and old trees are not super impressive. There are some nice waterfalls on the island. But considering the infrequent ferry timings, infrequent buses, hard to get taxis, high ferry costs I highly disuade you from going.

If you do decide to go to Yakushima, regardless of my advice please purchase your ferry tickets online and any walking tours you wish. The benefit of walking tours is that they drive up to your hotel and ensure you don't walk down the wrong trail. If you can read signboards that are not in English then you would be find without them. Also note that food needs a bit of finding to find. It is not exactly a touristy city so getting food to cook is easier than food to eat.

Your time allocated to Kagoshima and Sakurajima is sufficient.
If you do decide to add an extra day, Kirishima and Ibusuki would be my choice.
The okinawan islands are a good idea too, but require more than just a day.

Unsure why you are starting in Kumamoto. Since your plan is southern Kyushu might as well do Miyazaki for a day.
When you decide to do northern kyushu get a northern kyshu pass and do it properly. Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Fukuoka, Beppu, Oita, Aso, Yufuin, Kurokawa, Saga Arita. Probably need Kyu days for that.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/13 15:45
A matter of personal opinion. I found the whole Yakushima island one of Japan's most picturesque spots. And definitely the deepest "inaka" (countryside) I've been too, bar some remote Okinawa islands.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/14 07:29
Kagoshima - lots to do. Our Chiran report is at
http://www.japan-guide.com/community/japancustomtours/report-1963

We also liked Ibusuki http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4677.html and manged to get the special coastal viewing train that goes along the coast. http://www.kagoshima-kankou.com/for/whatsnew/2011/04/jr-sightseeing-li...
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/14 10:11
I do agree that Yakushima is a nice town.

But when it comes to the giant trees and walking trails it does not move me in the least. Probably because I live in the tropics on an island that was once a swampland. The rolling fields of Tsucany does it for me.

The part of Yakushima that was said to inspiried the Princess Mononoke scenery is really just that. Only one part. A really small part. Like in Japan Guide, it really is only that one spot shown in that one picture! Everything else is just a disappointment. I found Kokedera and Kurama yama to be of far more interest.

But the town is really nice. Good to chill. Especially just relaxing in the hotel and looking at those green mountains. Especially when there is some fog. Whether that is worth the time and money to get there... leave that up to the person.

All in all, I found the rest of Kyushu to be wonderful. Disregarding Takachiho as one minute into Yokagura my brain was screaming to me to get out of there. I guess the traditional artistic movements aren't for me. (I can do Go though)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/14 10:48
The part of Yakushima that was said to inspiried the Princess Mononoke scenery is really just that. Only one part. A really small part. Like in Japan Guide, it really is only that one spot shown in that one picture!

Joshua,

I'm a little surprised to hear your experience as most people rave about Yakushima. It sounds to me like maybe your expectations were too high or misplaced. The japan-guide pages are pretty matter of fact, so I wouldn't expect too much more than what is written.

But to each his own. Maybe primeval forests just aren't for you. I've been to Yakushima myself and much of the draw seems to be the fact that it is so remote and difficult to get to. I found the hiking in the old growth forest was really something else and an experience that you really can't get many places these days. Definitely a bucket list item for Japan nature fans.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Kagoshima 2015/5/14 18:24
I have a problem,I have read about Takachiho hahaha,so...I will change the trip trying to include it on it and I have opened another post.

Anyway, is it common to cancel ferries in late November?I have to take the flight to Tokyo from Kagoshima .
by Rober (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread