Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/14 04:01
Hi,
I found a Japanese language school called Asahi Nihongo in Fukuoka which offer an experience to carry a mikoshi in a town outside of Fukuoka during a festival.

Sounds like nice but I wonder if there are any other such experiences for non-Japanese people to participate in somehow in other parts of Japan.
by Aya (guest)  

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/14 13:44
You can join in Omikoshi-matsuri most of the time if you like to do so unless it's a member's only omatsuri.
No many people like to carry Omikoshi these days.
But you need to register as a member in advance, and need to rent a Hanten-uniform. It's also highly recommended a mutual person(s) can be connected you and the member or association of Omatsuri.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/14 18:59
Thank you for your reply.
As I do not know any Japanese people for now and my Japanese skills is rather basic I thought the organizated experience of carrying omikoshi was better. But I thought if there were more such organizated experiences / groups out of Japan for non-Japanese speaking people.
by Aya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/14 19:57
The participation for Omatsuri is normally welcomed from the local people. Even though you are non-Japanese or foreigners.
For the participation, ask your local city office of International culture section. I think they have enough info for local Omatsuri.

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/15 16:12
Thank you, I will do so when in Japan.

By the way, you said people not want to carry omikoshi anymore. Is it because of it being heavy? Wont the weight even out when there are lots of people carrying it?

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/15 16:41
I'm not sure if I understand your original question, but you can contact your local city hall for more information about cultural exchange in your area. Hope you have fun in Japan!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/15 20:24
Local people don't like to carry Omikoshi is simply people don't have much interest in Omatsuri.
Especially young people in rural area leave there for their education and work, elderly people are unable to carry Omikoshi. Newly moved people include foreigners don't know how to join there. This is because Omatsuri is normally organized by the local commercial association and group.
I think the most of Omatsuri organizers hire people who carry Omikoshi with the budget these days. Otherwise no Omikoshi carriers in Omatsuri.
So you are welcome to carry Omikoshi and probably the organizer provides you free sake, snacks, food and meal.

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/16 01:54
Alright, that makes sense. Just curious but what could an omikoshi weigh? I I recall the waggons used in the Hakata Gion race are huge and heavy..

Is there a term in Japanese for the act of carrying mikoshi rather than just matsuri?

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/16 13:54
A local small Omikoshi for children is about 100 kg, 400 kg for adult omikoshi.
Hakata-Gion-Yamagasa omikoshi is about 1000 kg carried by 600 carriers. They carry an Omikoshi continuously once is has started. Some carriers take a break while the others carry. Thus Omatsuri organizers want a large number of Omikoshi carriers.
I don't know which Omatsuri you like to join and carry an Omikoshi but I think I can find a suitable Omatsuri in your region if you want.

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/28 09:54
I was so surprised to see the Japanese photographers surround geiko & maiko two days ago her in Kyoto... Yet your Japan-guide quotes, " However, if you spot a geiko or maiko, act respectfully. Complaints about tourists behaving like ruthless paparazzi are on the increase in recent years." Please be more inclusive when writing your articles...
by Bryan Cole (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Participating in Japanese o-matsuri 2015/5/28 10:09
"Tourists" is inclusive of Japanese tourists...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread