Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/18 20:48
Now i am starting to apply for coe. I already been asked to shipped original documents to japan. It includes my university diploma. Will immigration return it? Some says they may but i wanna hear personal experiences whether they return it or not.

Another question, what is the best courier for sending something in tokyo japan? What is the most popular courier there? Here in my country, there many international courier services so my best option is to choose which courier has many branch in tokyo.

Thanks a lot 😀👍
by soontobetokyogirl  

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/19 10:48
When you say you have been asked to send the original, I hope it is your employer who is asking you to send the original documents to Japan?

This is as far as I know. When the applicant submits documents to Immigration, they want people to submit just the copies, they don't want the original (they keep what you submit). So when the applicant goes to Immigration, they need to take a photocopy beforehand, and show both the photocopy and the original. The immigration officer will look at both to make sure the copy is a true copy, then they keep the photocopy and give back the original.

Fedex is a well-known name here.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/19 12:19
From http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/01.html

In principle, documents and materials which have been submitted will Not be returned to you. If you have submitted any original copies of documents and materials, which would be difficult for you to re-obtain, and would like to have them returned to you, please notify us when you file your application.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/19 14:38
I sent my original copies to my employer through post. My employer brought my original copies to the immigration. The immigration took a photocopied version of my degree, kept that and returned the original to my employer who then gave it back to me.
by Seirin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/20 00:34
Thanks for all your reply..

Just wondering, aside from university docs, what are the other requirements your employer asked you to send?
Have they asked you to fill up the application form and send other requirements?
by soontobetokyogirl rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/20 12:06
I don't know what is up with Japan - some local office workers, that might handle your submission for instance to get your CoE, seems to get the idea that you should submit original documents.

I've told my local administration office several times, that I'm in no way going to give anyone my original diploma or other original documents. There have never been a problem, the authorities are fine with a copy (of course, as nothing else makes sense).

Two big problems if you really are submitting original documents:

1) If you are applying in several countries, you can't wait for the original to come back from one place so you can submit it to the next.

2) Do you really want to trust some local office worker that your original diploma (which maybe can't be re-issued) will not be lost somewhere in the process?

Anyway, that was mostly rant. Just send a copy.
by AHVdk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/20 15:03
You have to send in an application form for a visa. It can be found from the Ministry of Justice website. Also, you need a copy of your passport (obviously), and recent photographs of yourself. The specific dimensions can be found on your visa application form.
by Seirin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/20 15:23
in general, the company, which hires you, submits the application documents to immigration office.
the company prepares their own documents and combines both of documents, and submits to the office.
you don't need to submit the document by yourself.
just follow the company's direction.
if you can't trust the company, move on to another company.

probably, the company wants to confirm your BS is genuine or not, because they have bad experiences of fake documents and/or poor abilities.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/21 11:58
thanks for all your answers. yeah. univ certs + pic + passport copy are the things i was asked to send.
I also plan to include some supporting documents like birth certificate and NBI clearance (to prove i am not a criminal hahaha)

is it necessary to also include the original document proving my designation in my previous job? because if immigration get that, i will never have another of its kind. i thought of sending that to prove that i am somewhat experienced and my previous employer is a large government agency which adds credibility.

another, i have different university certificates.
one is my bachelors degree and the other one is my short course. both from top universities here in my country. the thing is my bachelors degree is not so related with my job in japan. the short course is the one related. but i can send them all original documents of both. it's just that, will immigration can consider both?

also, in the application form, is it okay to write in "last university attended" the one where i took short course?

thanks guys
by soontobetokyogirl rate this post as useful

Re: Will immigration return original documents? 2015/5/21 23:12
is it necessary to also include the original document proving my designation in my previous job? because if immigration get that, i will never have another of its kind. i thought of sending that to prove that i am somewhat experienced and my previous employer is a large government agency which adds credibility.

I sent an original copy of my proof of employment from my previous company but I never got that back from the immigration. It was requested that I send that as well from my employer, so I did. But I guess that's because I didn't inform my employer to let immigration know that I wanted that back. I specifically told her (my employer) that I wanted my degree/certificates back though.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread