Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 39

1 2
next

Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 01:51
Hi all,

To break up the monotony of the normal holiday or living question, I thought I'd ask peoples opinions on your favorite onsen towns.

I've split it into two sections

(1) Location with best/favorite onsen water

(2) Location with best atmosphere

Like a lot of people, I've stayed in many places in onsens but I've not stayed at a lot of traditional onsen towns. As such, my favorites are a bit limited than others.

Favorite Water: Noboribetsu - Hokkaido

Best Atmosphere: Izu Nagaoka (near Shuzenji) - Izu Peninsula

I'd be happy to hear everyones opinion - no matter how much or little experience you have!
by mfedley  

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 12:34
1) Kusatsu

2) Kusatsu

Sorry, I'm biased ;p Seriously though, some people don't like the sulfur smell but I LOVE it. I'm super weird. Also, there's enough to do in the area to enjoy yourself, but not too much. And with the recent improvements, the cars are out and the city center is really really nice.

Second place...

1) Tamagawa Onsen, Akita

Maybe not best waters, but certainly the most unique I've ever been in... I liked the burn for about 2 minutes, then I had to switch to the 50% pools. Walking around outside's nice too.

2) Takaragawa Onsen, Gunma

I don't mind mixed bathing, and this place is seriously picturesque... when there's not partying yakuza everywhere!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 14:43
I'm not a massive fan of the smell of the sulphuric water though it does leave your skin feeling nice. I've liked all of the onsen towns I've been to so it is hard to pick a favourite but comments are :
Hakone - oh well, there is plenty to do even over a few days;
bessho onsen - cute town, nice water - not so much to do but pretty handy to Tokyo;
Takayama - yes not really an onsen town but plenty of onsens there and good water, lots to do;
Kinosaki Onsen - great and a lot of fun, especially if you like crabs;
Kamikouchi - also not really an onsen town but there are onsens there and it is great out in the forest soaking it up in the cool air.

OK, Kamikouchi8 would be my pick at the moment
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 15:20
I have to agree with the noboribetsu onsen water. But then again i havent been to many places.

My tenant hails from Kyushu and she states that Yufuin is one of the better ones. Small shops, mountain view and nice water.

For views, I personally like Katsura onsen. The night view looking at the lighted up town and the cave baths looking into the sea.

Then again, i've not been to many. More than ten but less than twenty. Hai.... I want to go to Nagano, Karuizawa, Oku-Nikko, Kusatsu, Ikaho, Ginzan. I've not been to any place East of Kanazawa and north of Tokyo. (Except Takayama)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 15:31
Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

(1) Location with best/favorite onsen water

Nyuto
Noboribetsu
Manza
Shirahone

Nyuto
Takaragawa
Hoshi
Okuhida
Kinosaki
Kusatsu
Fukenoyu
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 16:09
To me - the sulphur smell is kind of like fresh Tatami. You might not like the smell at first. Then you get used to it and then you like it (at least for tatami!). I guess it's like your favourite food. Your body adapts to the smell and knows what to expect....

I still have memories of a little Japanese girl complaining that the volcanic vents in Hakone smelt like onsens!!
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 17:04
Strange, i have liked the smell of tatami from the beginning. But the onsens that smelled like rotten eggs takes a while to get used to.

Now, unless it is those really strong ones I can take it. The stronger ones, i have to bare a few minutes of nasal torment. But usually once im in the water, i dont let the smell bother me.

mfedly, have you been to all the places in Japan you wanted to go yet? How is the new country working out for you?

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 17:27
Kurokawa

Marukoma onsen
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 17:33
My new country (Kazakhstan) is not really my cup of tea. As such - I'm moving soon to China for a job that I'm really looking forward to.

At present, I'll be travelling around Japan for 5 weeks this summer.

The only places I still want to visit is Okinawa, Shikoku and Kyushu but I should be able to finish that in the next couple of years living near Shanghai.

My upcoming holiday (mainly to watch my students graduate) is basically a list of onsen towns in Honshu (Takasaki - Dewa Sanzen, Kusatsu Onsen, Manza Onsen, Iiyama (Togari Onsen), Itoigawa (another onsen), Unazaki Onsen (Kurobe Gorge), Wajima, Wakura Onsen, Yamanaka Onsen (Kaga), Kinosaki Onsen, Tottori, Wakayama, Tanabe, Kii-Katsuura, Shingu & Hongu (Yunomine Onsen).

I think I need the onsens after most days being below -20 for 4 months!! Where I am living makes Wakkanai look like Okinawa.

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/20 21:24
Kusatsu

Takaragawa Onsen
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 10:11
That is just plain scary... -20.
I think you will enjoy Kyshu's onsens. Good luck with China. The population is a bit on the higher scale. Also, unless in financial capitals (Beijing ain't one), English would be harder to find than in Noboribetsu onsen.

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 11:25

My most memorable onsen:
Kotan Onsen: free Rotenburo at the shore of Lake Kussharo (‹üŽÎ˜HŒÎ)
My most memorable onsen experience :
Kotan Onsen: free Rotenburo at the shore of Lake Kussharo (‹üŽÎ˜HŒÎ)
Imagine deep winter, snowing heavily, alone, submerged in this tiny onsen, mesmerized by the million dollar lake view , watching swans resting in front of you , or rather the swans watching you?
Post courtesy of Murray Foote:
http://murrayfoote.com/2012/06/05/18th-february-hokkaido-lake-kussharo...
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 12:26

The only places I still want to visit is Okinawa, Shikoku and Kyushu

Be sure to avoid typhoon season for Okinawa.
Shikoku is beautiful place, very underrated. Put Wanoyado Hotel Iya Onsen (‘c’J‰·ò) in your bucketlist; if not staying , at least try the lunch package ( best middle of November). And for an "experience" visit Dogoonsen honkan (“¹Œã‰·ò–{ŠÙ), Mastuyama.
Kyushu, Takefue (’|‚Ó‚¦) is highly recommended, but a bit pricey. Again Autumn is the best time to visit the place.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 13:49
Noted on Okinawa. I used to live in Kaohsiung Taiwan so I'm used to Typhoons. They are one of the few things which truly scare me. I don't think the mainland gets real typhoons!

I'll also have a look at those locations in Kyushu. In particular - I'm looking forward to visiting Dogo Onsen.

Joshua - thankfully for me I'm moving to the Suzhou Singapore Industrial Park as an international teachers. There are a few thousand expat kids there which tends to suggest some type of international population, but I do like travelling to places with limited English....

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 19:01
Well, when you do move and when you do your onsen frenzy this summer, do make a post or something. Would love to hear about it. Especially if there are any good spots found.

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 20:52
It depends on the place you are staying in china, there isn't much true onsen available, even if there are, some of them are very dirty, and water are reused unlike japan, a friend of mine had to stay in hospital for a few days after returning from china to hong kong after catch something from these onsen.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/21 23:02
1) Location with best/favorite onsen water

I admit that I tend to choose onsen based on atmosphere more than water, but the water at Yamashiro Onsen (part of Kaga Onsen) stands out. It was certainly the hottest onsen I've ever been in. I know that doesn't necessarily mean the water was "better" but like I said, it stands out for me.

I also think Dogo Onsen was nice. I don't know if it was the water, atmosphere, or that I had the upper onsen to myself but I felt REALLY nice and relaxed.

Yubara Onsen - This outdoor, open-air onsen is how I had envisioned onsen prior to coming to Japan. It's atmospheric with the dam as the backdrop, but secluded enough that you won't have groups of tourists gawking at you.

Kinosaki Onsen is rightfully known for its atmosphere. The streets and river in the onsen area are scenic and seeing all the people walking around in traditional clothing makes it even better.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/22 08:47
If water quality and town atmosphere are most important to you, my top recommendation is Kusatsu Onsen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7400.html

The town is not perfect due to several ugly buildings, but otherwise it is as good as it gets with one of the best water in Japan and the yubatake and pleasant environment for strolls in yukata and geta. And it is getting better year by year thanks to beautification efforts by the town.

Also ranking high are Kurokawa (especially town and large-sized rotenburo) and Noboribetsu (especially water and hell valley).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/22 10:44
I don't see why you should go to China's onsen. The hot spring culture is not developed there and that gives rise to possible quality control issues.

hygiene plays a part. Whether they scrub clean/soap clean before entering the bath. Secondly, whether the bath is maintained. Thirdly, whether they regulate and check the spring water for contaminants.

That said, KMS friend might have been infected because the food, air, bed's mattress, toilet was contaminated. So it might not have been the hot spring.

I heard Taiwan's is okay.

I've been to one in Korea, although the facility is clean and everything else is a thumbs up, i felt the water quality felt more tap water than spring water. Like a hot tub.

All in all, unless i am one of those baths in northern europe, i won't use any onsen outside japan. Well, if it is established or part of a group tour then maybe.

Re: Favorite Onsen Towns 2015/5/22 11:01
I've actually been lucky enough to use a natural hot spring in a national park in Taiwan near Taipei which was pretty amazing. There is a small joke in Taiwan stating that the only reason Japan invaded Taiwan was for the onsens. Quite a few Japanese visitors actually come to Taiwan for onsens.

It's not my intention is visit Onsens in China, but there are a couple of fancy hot spring resorts near my city in China.

I'm going to China for work, not so much for the onsens....

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 39

1 2
next

reply to this thread