Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/22 04:11
Hi guys,

Probably the last question I have in preparation for my second trip in July.
I'm staying 22 nights and am thinking about buying the 3 week JR Rail Pass (430 euro right now).

I did some calculations on Hyperdia, but I don't know if fares are single, or how much a round-trip costs (double or 1.5 times or whatever). My calculations, without short local train trips and Yamanote trips in Tokyo adds up to maximum 782 euro, minimum 612 euro.
The calculations are also based on the fastest options, not the cheapest options.

Here's my itinerary:

July 11
Go: Tokyo (1h, N'EX 30 euro)

July 12
Tokyo

July 13
Go: Kyoto (164min, 100 euro)

July 14
Go: Osaka (28min, 5 euro)
Go Kyoto (28min, 5 euro)

July 15
Go: Himeji (54min, 42 euro)
Go: Kyoto (54min, 42 euro)

July 16
Kyoto

July 17
Go: Hiroshima (131min, 86 euro)

July 18
Miyajima

July 19
Go: Okayama ( 40 min, 44 euro )
Go: Kurashiki ( 11 min )

July 20
Kurashiki

July 21
Go: Amanohashidate (301min, 85 euro)

July 22
Amanohashidate

July 23
Go: Kinosaki (112min, 15 euro)

July 24
Kinosaki

July 25
Go: Kanazawa ( 324min, 90 euro )

July 26
Kanazawa

July 27
Go: Tokyo (152min, 106 euro)

July 28
Go: Hakone (67min, 37 euro freepass)
Go: Tokyo (67min)

July 29
Go: Kamakura & Enoshima (60min, 10 euro freepass)
Go: Tokyo (60min)

July 30 (Might drop this, hence minimum is lower)
Go: Sendai (92min, 85 euro)
Go: Tokyo (92min, 85 euro)

July 31
Tokyo

August 1
Tokyo

I'll be staying in Asakusa.
So every daytrip will also cost me to go from Asakusa - Shinjuku/Tokyo Station
And I'll be using the Yamanote too.

Does a 3-week pass seem worthwhile?

by MilesVor  

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/22 13:00
The short answer is yes, the 21 day pass would pay off.
FYI on Hyperdia all the prices are one-way fares only.

Just a few observations...you didn't include Nara in your plans, which would be a terrible omission.
Okayama is someplace that no so many include though. It has one of Japan's best gardens, Korakuen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zAI3_N7NEM
One other places few go to see is the Handayama Garden, which is also very beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQ8o7k9GbA
It's also unclear why you pick Kurashiki - it is nice, but you might find Onomichi more interesting - it has its temple tour but also one of the area's colorful temples, Kosanji:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Q5EjEOXI8
You don't have to go to Sendai if you think you are forced to in order to cover the costs of the 21 day pass - there is something to see there, of course. Nikko also makes a great day trip.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/22 13:23
JR-PASS not covered other railways/subways/trams
local buses and more as different companies in all areas.

Calc again all.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/EUR-JPY-exchange-rate-history.html
http://coinmill.com/EUR_JPY.html
by hsw (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/22 19:52
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

@hsw
I took JR/Non-JR into account!
Almost everything is covered by the JR pass except the Odakyu freepasses to Hakone and Kamakura/Enoshima.
Some non-JR rides are sometimes the cheaper option, but they're also the slower options.

@Ken
This is actually my second time in Japan :D Went to Nara last time, but I might even consider returning as last time it was raining.
Okayama/Kurashiki is the part of my trip I'm the least convinced about. The thing is, that my next step on the trip is Amanohashidate. The further I am from Kyoto (to take the express to Amanohashidate), the longer my trip will be.
Originally I wanted to visit Onomichi/Tomonoura, but since Okayama has some cool sights like the garden, and I saw a friend's beautiful pictures of Kurashiki, I thought it might be the better located place for my trip.
Now that I heard Himeji castle has reopened, that might also be a good alternative for 2 overnights.
by MilesVor rate this post as useful

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/22 20:46
We have just spent 3 nights in Okayama: and loved it. Korakuen of course.
1. Kurashiki is a short half day, truly: Ohara Museum is excellent (we are into Japanese ceramics, so the craft centre there was our mission); Canal area nice to walk around; Ivy Square was not worth the effort
2. Takamatsu for Ritsurien Koen is fabulous: and fun on the train over the Inland Sea
3. Bizen (IMBE is the station) is an amazing little pottery village: we loved it: and had a great inexpensive set lunch in the station restaurant
4. the Osafune sword museum was also worth visiting
There were 3 of us, so we used taxis a lot, which saved time.
Himeji is an easy day trip from Kyoto/Osaka: not worth staying there.
5. If you are going to Himeji then consider going also to Mt Shosa
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3503.html
Can recommend the mini bus as well: have been there twice: trekked up the mountain the first time and opted for the bus the second.
We try NOT to move accommodation all the time, [as it wastes time checking in and out all the time, and lugging luggage is a pain no matter how light you travel ] and we do day trips: and so maximise the use of the Pass.
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/23 20:17
Mt Shosha is def. in my plans if I day-trip from Kyoto to Himeji :DDD

But now I'm starting to doubt lol.
Like I said, Okayama/Kurashiki is the only part of my trip I'm not sure about.
Originally I was going to do one night Fukuyama/Onomichi/Tomonoura,
the second night Okayama/Kurashiki.
Then I decided to spend 2 nights in Okayama/Kurashiki as not to rush.
For some reason people keep telling me to go to Onomichi now that I've finally decided on Okayama xDDD

Why can't a shedule ever feel correct? :'( You always want to visit more places while at the same time staying in places longer.

If Onomichi can be viewed in a single afternoon, I might think about spending a night there. Then spend an afternoon in Okayama and a night in Kurashiki.

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/23 20:34
In that scenario, I would be arriving in Onomichi around noon or earlier, hostel next to the station. Drop my stuff off. Do the temple walk all afternoon.
Wake up the next day, either go straight to Okayama/Kurashiki,
Or walk around another half a day, go to Okayama for the afternoon, then visit Kurashiki at night. And take a train early in the morning (7:40 or so) to Kyoto and on to Amanohashidate.
That sounds like enough time for the temple walk, Okayama's garden and some other places, and Kurashiki at night.

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/24 00:43
Onomichi would not be worth 2 half-days. The temple walk is nice, but I think it's being a bit overhyped. I don't think they do the nice stamps and free gift year-round. I think it's only New Years. I'm not sure if they do anything special during other times other than sell the beads to complete a bracelet...

Kosanji Temple (mentioned above as a reason to visit Onomichi) is not part of the temple walk and requires a boat ride or bus ride to reach. It's too much trouble for a half-day. It'd take up all of your time.

A half-day is the most I'd spend in Onomichi, but skipping it wouldn't be a big loss either.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: 3 week JR rail pass calculations check 2015/5/24 06:05
I see.
I could always use the full day and a half for Okayama and Kurashiki I guess.
I'm just looking for a short two day stop between Hiroshima and Kyoto that's not too far from Kyoto so I can easily go to Amanohashidate afterwards. Ideally it would be a city in the mountains north of Himeji. Somewhere that's closer to Amanohashidate than Okayama/Onomichi.

reply to this thread