Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/23 20:10
Hi, I'd like to get some insights specific on traveling in and out of Hakone.

Here's our draft itinerary:
Day 1-3: Tokyo
Day 4-5: Hakone
Day 6 onwards: Kansai region (Osaka, Kyoto)
Last day: Fly out from Osaka

With this route, I reckon that JRPass will no longer be economical.

We intend to leave Tokyo early morning of Day 4, stay in Hakone overnight, and leave Hakone either Day 5 evening or Day 6 morning (and spend another night in Hakone).

What is the most economical way to travel from Tokyo to Hakone, and from Hakone to either Osaka or Kyoto?

Thanks!
by Lance (guest)  

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 10:52
With this route, I reckon that JRPass will no longer be economical.

Indeed, it won't pay off.

What is the most economical way to travel from Tokyo to Hakone

By Odakyu Railway:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

and from Hakone to either Osaka or Kyoto?

To return to Tokyo and then take a cheap overnight bus:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html?aFROM=2157_5200
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 11:30
Thanks, Uji! So it's:

Day 4 - Take Odakyu to Hakone, stay overnight in Hakone
Day 5 - Take Odakyu back to Tokyo, then take overnight bus to Osaka/Kyoto

We intend to stay in Shinjuku, so we can get the Hakone 2-day Free Pass in Shinjuku.

We can request our accommodation in Shinjuku to take care of our luggage while we're in Hakone so we don't need to bring our luggage there.

From Shinjuku to Osaka/Kyoto, do you recommend us to bring our luggage in the bus (1 luggage/person) or have it delivered via Ta-Q-Bin?

Thanks!
by Lance (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 11:39
We intend to stay in Shinjuku, so we can get the Hakone 2-day Free Pass in Shinjuku.

Yes, that is usually the cheapest way to get to and around Hakone.

We can request our accommodation in Shinjuku to take care of our luggage while we're in Hakone so we don't need to bring our luggage there.

Yet another advantage.

From Shinjuku to Osaka/Kyoto, do you recommend us to bring our luggage in the bus (1 luggage/person) or have it delivered via Ta-Q-Bin?

Obviously, I would try to avoid using the delivery service (one piece costs around 1500 yen which is not much cheaper than the bus fare for a human). But if you bring more than the limit (I hope you aren't), then I am afraid the delivery service is the only alternative.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 12:04
Thanks so much, Uji! Great help!

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 13:57
Hi, Uji!

Just a follow up question, from Shinjuku to Hakone and vv, what is the mode of transportation included in the Hakone free pass, is it a train or a bus or any of the two? I am not keen on taking the Romancecar.

Thanks!

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 14:52
Hakone Free Pass that includes Shinjuku - Hakone transportation gives you access to Odakyu trains OTHER THAN Romance Car limited express. So it takes longer time than Romance Car, but you don't have to pay anything extra if you take Odakyu Railway's local or express trains.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 15:57
Which lines in the routes below are covered by the Hakone Free Pass? Thanks!

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/traffic/railmap/pdf/odakyu-line-route-map...

Re: Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Osaka 2015/5/24 16:12
One round trip between Shinjuku and Hakone-yumoto, and then other modes of transport within Hakone (please see the link above).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread