Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I become a Japanese citizen at 21? 2015/5/27 11:41
Hi, I am a half filipino half japanese. I was born and raised here in the Philippines. It is really a complicated situation. My mom (Filipina) and dad (Japanese) were married in Sept. 8, 1995. However, I am holding a Philippine passport. My father died in the year 1999. We haven't processed any papers about my citizenship and again, I am holding a Philippine passport ever since. When we go there, we were only granted with a tourist visa. Also, I just figured out that my dad was adopted so he doesn't have any siblings.
In year 2014, after I graduated in college, we went to the embassy but they told me that there's no chance for me to get a japanese citizen because I was already 20 y.o. that time. I am turning 22 this November though. I really want to study and work in Japan. It feels like the a big part of me is at loss now. I want to explore and discover the other half of me. I hope someone could help me out. Thank you so much!
by Erika Iwaki (guest)  

Re: Can I become a Japanese citizen at 21? 2015/5/27 14:00
Have you asked about getting a "Child of Japanese National" visa instead? It would also allow you to study and work in Japan without limits.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Can I become a Japanese citizen at 21? 2015/5/27 16:58
You must be registered in your father's "Koseki" that you were born as his child. That tells you are qualified to be a Japanese citizen as you apply for the Japanese passport(ie Japanese citizenship).
Ask your mother about "Koseki". If it's exist, you are qualified as a Japanese citizen but you will lose your Phillipines citizenship.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I become a Japanese citizen at 21? 2015/5/27 17:14
Hi. Thank you ao much for the response. Really appreciate this.
1. Unfortunately, the embassy just suggested us about tge "Naturalization" wherein we need a sponsor but since we dont have any relative or close friend.
2. We are not holding any kosekitohon right now. We are not even sure if I an registered by my father. Do you think I can still grabt a citizenship if only I can have a copy of Kosekitohon even if I am already 21?
Thank you so much!
by ekaa rate this post as useful

Re: Can I become a Japanese citizen at 21? 2015/5/27 17:26
If you are registered in your father's Koseki, you are still a Japanese citizen.
The 21 yrs old rule is that you are unable to hold a dual citizenship. You must decide which nationality you want to before you will become 22 yrs old under the Japanese rule. But the rule has no penalty but majority of people decide by 21 yrs old.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I become a Japanese citizen at 21? 2015/5/27 17:44
Oh, thank you so much! I think I have to check if I am registered. Really appriciate this. God bless!
by ekaa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread