Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo (10 days) 2015/5/28 06:48
Hi, first time to Japan and am very confused with so many options of passes, would appreciate some help..
This is my itinerary for now..

day1: arrive at narita airport.
day2: tokyo
day3: osaka
day4: osaka (travel to kyoto)
day5: kyoto
day6: kyoto (travel to tokyo)
day7: mount fuji, outlet shopping
day8: tokyo - disneyland
day9: tokyo
day 10: tokyo

my base will be in tokyo.
My concerns will be the amount spent on transportation between Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto and back to Tokyo. will the jr pass be worth it since i wont be able to take the shinkasen? Am considering overnight bus by Willer..
Also, i may want to visit Nara, will i benefit from the pass?
Lastly, do you think its possible for me to visit mount fuji from tokyo instead of kyoto?

thank you for ur help!
by paperheartt  

Re: Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo (10 days) 2015/5/28 13:18
A 7-day JR Pass will definitely be worth it! You are allowed to take the shinkansen, just not the fastest ones. A 7-day Pass pays off by taking a round trip between Tokyo and the Kansai area, which you have already planned to do. Nara is on the JR line between Osaka and Kyoto, so definitely use the Pass visit it if you have time (a full day is recommended, half a day at least).

Mt. Fuji is much closer to Tokyo than Kyoto! You might want to give yourself a full day to see it though. Be aware that it is notoriously shy, and is best visible in winter and in the early morning (i.e., just after sunrise).

Remember that a shinkansen trip between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto takes several hours, so try to make this trip in the evening or first thing in the morning so you don't waste too much sightseeing time, especially since you don't have much time.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo (10 days) 2015/5/28 13:23
Why can you not take the shinkansen? If you can get a JR pass, you can take it.

Even if you took the non-shinkansen trains, on a 7-day pass between Tokyo/Osaka it can pay-off unless you get the non-reserved trains in which case you can do a return trip for around Y22,000.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo (10 days) 2015/5/28 16:15
Hi,

7 days JR pass will be worth is as the you will travel from and to Tokyo, just make sure you use JR transport to the max!
Don't take the bus, you will waste more time on the road.

Activate your JR pass on the 2nd day when you're going to Osaka.

Cheers.
by Tie410 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo (10 days) 2015/5/29 01:13
thanks for your input!
do you think it will be more worth it if i get the 4 day kansai area pass (6,300yen)to travel within osaka/kyoto/nara and use the overnight bus round trip by willer express (10,000yen) as compared to the jr pass?

let me know what you think :)
by paperheartt rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo (10 days) 2015/6/7 07:06
Why don't you take the Shinkansen with the JR Rail pass? It's faster than the bus and not much cheaper than Kanji Pass plus bus ticket.
by Japan visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread