Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

recommendations 2015/5/28 10:13
Hello, i have 3 more weeks in Tokyo and a JR pass until June 13th. I wanted help from the people here as to things that I can do in this time. I'm mainly searching for side trips from Tokyo, example of something similar to what I'm searching is when I went to Hakone- i went to odawara station and then took a bus to ashinoko, then the sightseeing boat across tha lake, then an onsen and a cable car and small rails back to odawara. things that you can go to several places in a day in and return to tokyo. also considering doing the alpine route. if there is a free pass like Hakone it's also cool. preferably trips that you can go in a circle (and not have to go back in the same way you went, except of course the train to Tokyo). I like mostly nature, but also shrines, onsens, and biking places for people who don't bike a lot (but I did manage to complete half of the Shimanami kaido in a day so I'm not that bad P:)
thanks in advance for answers and sorry for the long post!
by Gal_shap (guest)  

Re: recommendations 2015/5/28 12:19
Some nature spots in eastern Tohoku (along the Shinkansen) are doable as a day trip from Tokyo, Urabandai and Lake Tazawa/Kakunodate/Nyuto Onsen come to mind.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: recommendations 2015/5/28 13:12
Kamakura and Enoshima would make a great day trip (you could do it over two days, one for each). They also have a Freepass offered by Odakyu Railways like Hakone. Follow the itinerary suggested by the Odakyu Freepass brochure (can find at Shinjuku station) and get off a stop earlier than Kamakura to walk easily to both the bronze Buddha (really tranquil in the early morning, and you can go inside it!) and Hasedera Temple (gorgeous sea views, the biggest wooden statue of the Goddess of Mercy, religious caves and really friendly monks to sign your shrine book!). Then, get back on the train and continue to Kamakura proper, rent a bike (to the right of the station's JR exit) and ride around to some of the many shrines temples in the area. My favourites were Hachimangu shrine (biggest; can walk there from station, street too busy with pedestrians to ride!) and Zeniarai Benten (contains cave where you can wash your money in lucky water than makes it come back to you tenfold). You can then ride to the beach to see the sunset before travelling back to Tokyo.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: recommendations 2015/5/28 15:13
Have you been to Gunma area?
Takasaki is really nice for a day trip - there's easy bus access from the station to see the Kannon, Shorinzan Darumaji, a few other shrines and sights, and I personally just enjoyed walking around the city.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: recommendations 2015/5/28 18:26
Possible day trips from Tokyo include:

(1) Kamakura

(2) Yokohama

(3) Nikko

(4) Izu Peninsula (there are a couple of possible day trips here)

(5) Atami

(6) Takasaki (Daruma-ji & Gunma Flower Park)

(7) Matsumoto

(8) Narita & Suwara

Don't forget that even Kyoto and Osaka are easily within day trip range if you don't mind travelling.

Most of the other places I know that are within a decent distance on Tokyo are unfortunately more single night stays....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread