Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/30 06:30
Hey

So i lived in Japan from August last year until April 2015, on a student Visa, attending Japanese Uni as part of my Study abroad module for England.
I decided to return home early as my online-modules from england were not working out.

I have plans to return to Japan July 16th for 2 weeks as vacation. Will i have any problems re-entering the country?
I told them i'd be back July when i exit, and they said it was fine, but as i'm no longer attending the university is my Visa still valid?
It expires in September.
by jordanwalker94  

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/30 12:57
If you changed your plans are are no longer attending the university, and are just coming on holiday, you should say so upon entry. When they said OK about coming back in July, they must have assumed that you are coming back as student again.

I assume you are a UK national? Then you can enter and stay on Temporary Visitor status, meaning they just stamp your passport and let you in for 90 days (I believe).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/31 03:14
AK is correct. UK citizens do not need a visa to visit Japan for up to 90 days as a tourist. So I would do that. I would take the Student visa with me though just in case something was said.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/31 12:38
Thanks for the Reply.

So I will be able to re-enter for 2 weeks as a tourist status, regardless of the fact I have already spent 9 months in the country, and recently returned?

by jordanwalker94 rate this post as useful

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/31 14:38
Did you get a re-entry permit before departing Japan?
If not, then you're student visa isn't valid any more but that shouldn't cause a problem to enter as a temporary visitor this summer for your vacation.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/31 15:06
Yeah :) I got a re-entry Permit.

I think i'll just try go through re-entry. If they say anything I'll explain i'm leaving in 2 weeks. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.
I only officially moved out of my apartment about a week ago, and I've heard you get 1 month to return and collect your things anyway.

Thanks for all the help, everybody!

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/31 18:21
if you lose the student position in school, your student visa (status) becomes invalid.
http://www.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp/oicehp-j/graduating/20110201visastatus-j.pd...

I heard it is school's obligation that the school reports the loss of your student position to immigration. if the school already reported it, you may encounter a problem, when re-entering Japan.
be honest. re-enter as a tourist.

if you go home without notifying to school or, if you tell the school that you temporarily go home, your position are still in school. (your student status is valid.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/5/31 22:37
Both you and the education provider are required to report to immigration within 14 days of you terminating your education.

The Uni will have done this and immigration may well have cancelled your status. If you try to re-enter as a student, they will see in your record that you are not and could well be denied entry for lying to an official.

If you have not told immigration as required, you may have to pay a fine or write a letter of apology if your status were still active and they allow you re-entry on it.

If you go in the tourist queue to present yourself for entry under visa waiver, they can cancel your previous status so long as you have nothing outstanding on your file.

You might well get in via re-entry with no problems and save 20 minutes queuing, but is that worth the risks?
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will i have problems with my visa? 2015/6/1 03:27
Well you're the first person to mention these issues on this thread. Although, I'm glad you have, as I now know it's possible to que and enter as a tourist with no problems.

I did not contact anyone upon leaving bar my university, as it was a sudden and quick process. I also had an issue with my student financing and had to leave ASAP.

So you're saying, with my current situation, I can just enter through the normal foreigner que, as a tourist with no issues?

If so, of course I will do that.

reply to this thread