Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to travel Kyoto-Kanazawa-Takayama-Osaka? 2015/5/30 17:05
We are planning for 8Days/7Nights tour and our itinerary as follows:

Day 1 Arrive KIX evening, transfer to Kyoto.
Day 2 Sightseeing Kyoto
Day 3 Early Morning, transfer to Kanazawa. Sightseeing & overnight in Kanazawa.
Day 4 Mid day transfer to Shirakawago (spend 3 hours). Then travel to Takayama
Day 5 Sightseeing in Takayama
Day 6 Evening transfer to Osaka
Day 7 Sightseeing in Osaka
Day 8 Sightseeing till depart in evening.

Please help us:
1) Is our 8Day/7Night itinerary do-able?
2) How do we travel from Kyoto - Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama - Osaka? Is it cheaper to use Japan Rail Pass? Do they have a pass that covers our 8D travel plan? How much will it cost?
3) Understand that from Kanazawa-Shirakawago-Takayama will be traveling by Bus. Do we have to book early?

Thank you

by Osaka Traveler  

Re: How to travel Kyoto-Kanazawa-Takayama-Osaka? 2015/5/30 19:31
1) Well, yes, it's doable
2 & 3) A 7-day Rail Pass might be worth it. Hyperdia.com allows you to look up prices and travel times.

Though, tbh... If this is your first trip, I'd consider a less hectic one. 1 day in Kyoto is not very much for a city that has wortwhile "attractions" every other street corner. Kanazawa and Takayama are pretty great, but they're a large detour though.
Maybe consider staying in Kyoto the whole time and doing day trips to Osaka, Himeji, Nara, etc). If you wanted to experience smaller towns or nature, you can even spend a night in Hikone, Mt Koya, Amanohashidate, Miyajima. Perhaps experience an onsen town like Kinosaki.
There's a lot to do in Kansai and Chugoku.
by MilesVor rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel Kyoto-Kanazawa-Takayama-Osaka? 2015/5/30 20:54
I did a similar route like yours 2 years ago within 8 days including Tokyo. So your itinerary is definitely doable and not so rush like mine. I don't think JR Pass will pay off the trip since you not going to travel to Tokyo. Like MilesVor mentioned, do a check first from Hyperdia.com. I think you should consider Takayama Hokuriku Pass instead - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

Nohi highway bus between Takayama and Shirakawago doesn't require to reserve in advanced. You can just go to the counter purchase on the spot. However reservation is required for highway bus between Kanazawa and Shirakawago.

Personally I would want to spend more time in Kyoto instead of Osaka. Osaka is more like a city to me where Kyoto has more thing to see like beautiful temples, geisha, traditional Japanese building and etc.

You may want to read my trip report in Shirakawago - http://whenshetravelstheworld.blogspot.sg/2013/12/japans-golden-route-...

Hope these help!
by Iva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel Kyoto-Kanazawa-Takayama-Osaka? 2015/5/31 15:54
Thanks for the advise. Agree that 1-Full day sightseeing in Kyoto is inadequate with all the exciting attractions. Probably will take 1 day from Osaka to spend another full day in Kyoto.

Will post again with new itinerary.

Thanks

by Osaka Traveler rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel Kyoto-Kanazawa-Takayama-Osaka? 2015/6/1 09:30
Buy One Day JR West Kansai Area Pass 2200 yen for your first day for travel between Kansai Int Airport to Kyoto ( Airport Express Haruka, non-reserved seats only ).

Buy the Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass ( 7 consecutive days ) 15000 yen for travelling between Kyoto to Kanazawa, Takayama, Toyama and back to Osaka and Kansai Airport. This pass even allows travelling on the new Hokuriku Shinkansen between Kanazawa and Myoko Kogen.

If your trip is one day shorter, the Hokuriku Pass alone would be sufficient.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/#ticketsContent
by Supernova (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread