Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving with a shipping container 2015/6/6 00:21
Moving from Canada to Osaka area.

Here's my current plan in order to cut down cost.

I found a great deal on a 20 feet shipping container to put all my stuff. It's a "door to port" service and the container will be stored on site (at the Osaka port).

Cost: about 3000$

Next, I need to either find a company to get this container (using a special truck) to our apartment where we'll be (roughly 1 hour drive) OR get them to put everything in a regular moving truck and then have it delivered to our apartment. The first method requires less work but driving around those small streets with a 20 feet container isn't always possible...

So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone attempted something similar? Thoughts?
2. Any recommendations for a "global" but cheap moving company?
3. I heard that I cannot just rent a truck and go on port property by myself. Only accredited companies can. Truth or sales pitch?
4. Most important question. Anything important missing? Can it really be this simple?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
by Canadien  

Re: Moving with a shipping container 2015/6/6 11:29
Is the "door to port" service provider going to take care of all customs clearance procedures (upon arrival)? To me it sounds like a deal for transport professionals.

I have not done anything like that, but have used Nittsu (Nippon Express) for relocation from/to Japan. You could check if they have an office near you.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving with a shipping container 2015/6/6 12:06
No I have to do the custom clearance (via a broker).

I saw Nippon Express, will look into their services.

Thanks!
by Canadien rate this post as useful

Re: Moving with a shipping container 2015/7/2 06:35
Salut Canadien et al.,

Did you do a comparison with the other company which Nitssu? I'm in the same boat, and am looking for a spiffy deal on shipping containers as well.

Which ones would you reccommend?

Also a Canadian. :)

Bardock711
by Bardock711 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving with a shipping container 2015/7/4 12:12
I haven't made my choice yet so I can't really comment but pricing is pretty much the same with port to port service. Where it gets expensive is if you want door to door service...
by Canadien rate this post as useful

reply to this thread