Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/7 04:14
Hi,
Shall I get better rates at Haneda airport if I use travellers cheques, or if I use cash? My question aplies both USD and Canadian dollars (as I can carry both)...which is better? Also, will there be a difference as the tarveller cheques are probably issued by American express

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/ says:
"The US/C buy rate is for traveler's checks issued by the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ.
Rates will be different for traveler's checks issued by other operators - inquire at the counter for details."

Do not know about haneda
by phys  

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/7 13:35
I stopped using Travelers Checks (TC) 25 years ago. They are more trouble than they are worth.

Even if they are free, you have to go somewhere to buy them, go through that process, sign each one, then go back home.

When you cash them, you have to go through another process, which takes more time and effort than exchanging cash, including signing each one again, and hope the cashier decides your signatures match.

While you might get some minor exchange rate benefit for using TC, is it worth the extra time and effort? My view is that forgoing the minor difference is merely one of the costs of a vacation.

"Safety" is not really a concern, especially in Japan. Get a fabric money belt. I've been to Japan over two dozen times, and to dozens of other countries, without a problem.

TC are left over relics from the 1950's and 60's. Using credit cards is usually not a problem in Japan. Why anyone says credit cards are a major problem has always mystified me, since foreign cards work to get cash in post office & 7-11 ATMs, both of which are all over the country. Most bigger stores, hotels (with some smaller exceptions), department stores, railroads & airlines accept them.

When you need cash, and all you have left are TC, then you have a problem. Especially if it is late at night, or on a holiday, and you have an urgent need, or even an emergency, then you will sincerely wish you had actual money to use.

Get ready for an avalanche of contrary comments. I've said my piece and will not engage in a debate.

by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/7 13:56
Usually I exchange an estimated amount at the arrival airport...so it does not matter if i carry TC or cash..and my bank is just near my home...given that you need not worry about the hassles of getting and exhanging TC...i want to know about the rates-- are they better for TC in Haneda airport?
by phys rate this post as useful

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/7 14:22
It's not Haneda but they have the same company there as well....

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/7 17:24
You'll never really get the best rate with TC or cash. Using a debit card at an ATM will get you the best rate and is more convenient.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/8 07:08
The foreign transactionn fee and ATM usage fee will prohibit me from this option....i hink my question was simple: which is better among the two: cash or TC at haneda airport?

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/8 07:48
you're still paying fees with cash or TC, you don't see it because it's baked into the exchange rate.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/8 11:55
Shall I get better rates at Haneda airport if I use travellers cheques, or if I use cash?

Not sure why there is even any debate in this thread. TC ALWAYS get you a better rate than cash at the point of exchange. I would consider getting USD denomination TC for your initial pocket money and then exchanging them all at the airport. They are slightly more work to use than cash, but it's not much more of a hassle if you plan ahead.

Credit card and cash withdrawal at an atm is also a great option, but check to make sure you don't have a foreign exchange fee otherwise you're just wiping out your savings.

Overall though, you're doing good if you can get around 3% or better off the exact exchange rate. Cheaper methods only shave off a few tenths of a percent so you'll have to weigh whether or not they're worth the effort.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/11 11:39
Reached Haneda yesterday...Mizuho bank excahnge places did not accept T/Cs...only on 3rd floor a japanese banck accept those and had better rates than cash

Re: Traveller cheques at Haneda? 2015/6/11 12:51
great! thanks for the feedback
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread