Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/7 14:04
how would you rank the zoos around tokyo?
zoorasia
tama zoo
ueno zoo
trying to decide which one to visit with limited time
by mimi (guest)  

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/7 20:39
I can only comment on Ueno Zoo, I think it's the biggest in central Tokyo, but it's just big, not really much to see, and kind of old.

It's cheap, and if you like zoo's, it's worth a visit.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 03:22
Unless Ueno zoo has changed since I was there in 2011 it's a pretty depressing place.

The polar bear had no natural habitat of any kind. It was all just concrete painted white. I didn't expect ice obviously but it was all just concrete. The bear was just pacing back and forth, back and forth and was obviously stressed or agitated about something.

The elephant enclosure was way too small for the three elephants they had in there. All they were doing was just standing in place. And there was nothing natural about their habitat either it was all concrete.

Pretty sad.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 08:21
Japanese zoos are pathetic in general because of lack of space. But Ueno at least has pandas.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 08:58
Zoorasia has huge cages and the only zoo in Japan that I have been to, that the average animal-concerned Westerner will feel good about. For me the cages there are too large to a degree that you sometimes cannot even see the animal.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 13:22
I can confirm that Japan's zoos often have much smaller enclosures by western standards. Some people that have strong views on animal rights will have some problems with zoos in Japan.

From what I have heard, the two best zoos for enclosures in Zooasia in Yokohama and Asahikawa zoo in Hokkaido. I've only visited the latter.

I have visited Ueno zoo on multiple occasions but this was mainly due to the fact that my students used to complete an assignment at the zoo comparing the animals natural and man made habitats. Lets just say that there was some interesting recommendations on how to fix the polar bears and buffalo in particular due to their total lack of space.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 15:40
Have you considered visiting an aquarium instead? There are a few aquariums in and around Toyko that are worth visiting

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2425.html
by Obake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 17:52
Zoorasia is definitely the best of the ones in the Tokyo area. Good sized and maintained enclosures for the most part, and the animal seem a lot happier than in other zoos.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/8 22:07
Hello.
I have been to all of them.
In my opinion the best of them is Zoorasia.
It has very huge area,and many various animals compared to others.
Although it is not easily accessible from the central of Tokyo,I think it is worth to see.
by Pembroke Welsh Corgi rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/14 04:29
Avoid Japanese zoos. Depressingly tiny enclosures, large birds in cages too small to fly in, sad looking elephants. Very 1970s by Western standards.

Aquaria are a mixed bag. Seeing a whale shark swimming in endless circles around a relatively small tank was also pretty grim.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/14 10:14
I went to Ueno Zoo and Zoorasia.
Zoorasia the site is wide.
In this in it's best new zoo.
Zoo visit if the main, it will recommend Zoorasia.
If you go to the zoo between the time of tourism, Ueno Zoo is convenient.
Ueno Zoo was also carried out five years ago, but I also enjoy adults.
I have been to Singapore Zoo and New Orleans Zoo.
Certainly Ueno Zoo might be old, but do not think so much inferior to foreign zoos.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/14 16:54
Ueno Zoo is clearly the worst of these.

My personal favourite is Tama Zoo, a really nice place with lots of variety (the insect building is rather unique for Japanese zoos). But Zoorasia is great too.

All zoos are depressing. If you don't like to see cages, go to a safari park, there's a famous one near Fuji.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: which zoo best around tokyo 2015/6/14 22:37
iff you also go to osaka the Tennoji Zoo is also nice
adress : 543-0063 1-108 Chausuyama-cho,Tennoji-ku,Osaka City

i only have seen euno zoo and Tennoji Zoo and iff i have to choose i will go again to Tennoji Zoo
by mark (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread