Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12 days trip to Hokkaido Summer 2015 2015/6/11 02:11
Hi,
My hubby & I are planning a last min. trip this mid/end July. (fingers-crossed on accommodation availability)

We hope to self drive but i have not been driving for some time, hence is it not advisable to drive in Hokkaido?
Guess our next option would be JR trains :)

We love scenery and landscape and it's a definite must to visit the lavender and if possible sunflowers for me! Could someone help suggests the flow of our itinerary please? We would like to visit Sapporo, Otaru, Hakodate, Furano and Biei. If possible, we would also like to venture to Wakkanai and Shiretoko :P

What are the seasonal fruits to look out for during this period?

thanks in advance,
Eden
by Edenfrens  

Re: 12 days trip to Hokkaido Summer 2015 2015/6/11 10:34
yubari melon will be in season

the following is my itinerary for a 11 day trip using JR only. If I had an extra day I would add Furano. I wish I could as far as Shiretoko but there's not enough time.

1. arrive Sapporo
2. Sapporo - Otaru
3. Otaru (day trip to Shakotan Peninsula)
4. Otaru - Sounkyo (visit Biei enroute)
5. Sounkyo - Noboribetsu Onsen
6. Noboribetsu Onsen - Hakodate
7 Hakodate
8. Hakodate - Toyako Onsen
9. Toyako Onsen - Sapporo
10. Sapporo
11. return home
by kms (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days trip to Hokkaido Summer 2015 2015/6/11 13:49
If you have not secured your accommodation it is doubtful you can still get hold of any good ones at this late date especially for Furano and Biei.

Driving in Hokkaido during summer is enjoyable and is surely the best way to explore the vast area of the island.

Furano is the place for lavender but if you want to take in sunflower as well go further north to Himawari no Sato in Hokuryu. Try to arrange to go there during the last part of the trip as the best time for sunflower is from late July to early August.

Wakkanai and Shiretoko Peninsula are indeed worthwhile but do note that there will be some fairly long distance driving involved and you will find that your 12 days will be drained up pretty quickly, especially there are other interesting places enroute that are also worth visiting.

Yubari melon is indeed a popular summer fruit, but if you want an u-pick excursion, consider going for one of the many cherry orchards or farms in the Niki and Yoichi region.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days trip to Hokkaido Summer 2015 2015/6/11 17:47
Driving in Hokkaido is not very difficult, but depending on where you are, you have to be careful at night. There are lots of deer and foxes on the streets at night! (Especially around Wakkanai and Shiretoko).

You can see my Hokkaido itinery for a bit more than 2 weeks from last summer here: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/hokkaido-in-summer/
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days trip to Hokkaido Summer 2015 2015/6/12 01:08
Dear kms, William5 and zoomingjapan,

A BIG Thank you to all of your for your advice and recommendations! With your valuable info on hand, we'll do more homework on it for now.

yummy, love melons and cherries!

Would be considering the lavender (Furano) and hopefully sunflower and leave Wakkanai and Shiretoko for another time.

would love to drive .. probably i should rent a car and practice now to refresh :P

Thanks again everyone.

Eden
by Edenfrens rate this post as useful

reply to this thread