Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/12 10:53
This year I'm going on a trip with my family. One of my family members has several small tattoos that cannot be covered up during showers. I am aware that tattoos are frowned upon in onsens and public baths especially, but my question is specifically for those hotels / ryokans that don't provide private baths / slots for private baths. Does that mean that the guest cannot shower? It seems unlikely for Japanese hospitality.

I'm trying to check with the hotels if they could possibly make an exception for her if they disallow tattoos... but no news so far. anyone have similar experiences? I've never gone to japan with anyone with tattoos, so this is new territory for me!

Especially because I want to bring them to Kinosaki, it would be a waste if she cannot participate!
by BloodPrincess  

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/12 13:20
Ask the Onsen staff first by showing the tatoos. I think majority of Onsen allow the person to take bath there.
But swimming pools don't.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/12 13:35
Ask the Onsen staff first by showing the tatoos.

Absolutely do not do that, you have nothing to gain by doing so. If you put the staff in the position of making a ruling, the majority of the time it is safer for them to respond negatively even in situations where it may have been possible otherwise. And if it would have been ok anyway then being discreet and covering up if possible would still be appropriate.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/12 21:47
I agree with yllwsmrf, if you'd ask, you 'd very likely get denied. But recently (April) it was reported in the Japan Times and Asahi Shinbun that smaller tattoos were okay in a major resort chain when covered up with stickers provided, maybe there is a change coming: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201504160033

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/04/16/business/hotel-group-inks-...
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/13 01:25
I can't really think of a ryokan that doesn't provide private bath and at the same time doesn't shut out others from the shared bath when another group is using it.

What I'm saying is that, usually, the tiny ryokans only have a small shared bath, and that bath is good enough for only one group at a time. So there is an unwritten rule that groups/families take turns.

That said, locals who wear tattoos have been staying away from facilities that only have shared bath/showers, so "hospitality" was not an issue.

But here is a list of facilities throughout Japan in which tattoo wearers have enjoyed in the past.
http://tattoo-spot.jp/
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/18 14:00
We have just returned from Japan for 2 week holiday. Visited many Onsen - mainly in hotels. My friend has a relatively large tattoo on his stomach. We had no problems at all. Some public onsens may be different. BUT, I agree with the others - DO NOT ASK! Talking with Japanese locals, most said tourists would not be asked to leave an Onsen. But, if you are asked to leave, there are plenty of other Onsen. Showering will not be a problem.
by brettd rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/18 19:35
I have asked on occasion, but most of the time I do not. In fact, the majority of people here don't care, as they know that you are a foreigner. Especially those from Western countries, most Japanese realize that we are more likely have tatoos.

The first time I asked someone if it was ok if i went in their onsen, he said it was ok. "Not Yakuza" was basically what he told me, and laughed.

Most times though, I don't tell them. Never had any trouble.

Swimming pools, however, are a different story. There are a few here in Osaka that allow tattoos, but that is probably because more Yakuza hang out there. But, almost all of the swimming pools in the gyms don't allow tattoos. Not even most beaches.
by Nazzy30 rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/18 22:08
in Japan, it has been thought that someone, who injures one's body irreversibly, is foolish and non-intelligent.
therefore, plastic surgery for beauty is not so common in Japan. persons who got that , generally keep in secret.

Japanese judge others by their behaviors. (I think it is common all over the world.) If I make tattoos on my body, it means that I will go out from the normal group, which I have been belonging to, and join the tattoo's group.)
Japanese society is much more strict and discriminating than you imagine.

returning to the original story, Japanese are not accepting and not welcoming for foreigner's tattoos. they know you are not in their side. they just ignore your existence.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/18 22:51
Interesting generalization of the "Japanese."

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/19 00:33
Just a thought, but could you not use waterproof plasters to cover the "several small tattoos" up?

I don't see why you say they cant be covered up.

by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/19 12:05
therefore, plastic surgery for beauty is not so common in Japan. persons who got that , generally keep in secret.

Maybe a few decades ago, but Japan is now one of the top ten countries for plastic surgery per capita and growing.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/01/daily-chart-22

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/6/20 15:59
Meanwhile, tattoos used to be frowned upon in Western countries too. People thought it was for criminals, prisoners and primitive tribes, and conservative people still think that way even in the Americas and Europe. So it's not that only Japan has that tradition, nor is it that the West does not have that tradition.

And as suggested by the plastic sergery chart, Japan always had the tradition of removing body hair, so it's not about honoring what is "natural" either.

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/9/13 16:37
Good news on the tattoos and onsen questions: the Yomiuri Shimbun, August 25, 2015 reports the following:

"Restrictions on tattooed customers at bathing facilities and resort swimming areas are being loosened around the country.

A number of facilities allow people with tattoos to enter if the tattoos can be covered by stickers. This is aimed at treating foreign tourists, many of whom consider tattoos a fashion item, differently from gangsters, some of whom sport elaborate tattoos.

With the Olympics and Paralympics scheduled for Tokyo in 2020, some facilities are calling for greater understanding of cultural differences."

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002362434
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/9/17 06:35
Took a friend of mine to the Onsen in Odaiba Tokyo and he got kicked out for having military tattoos(former Marine). We got refunds and left, it was pretty miserable. So no, don't show the tattoos if you have a choice. They won't know unless there is someone supervising the onsen and spots them. Just say your gaijin friend "didn't know."

Of course you can go to plenty of onsen towns and resorts where this is overlooked entirely and they don't really care.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/9/17 17:09
FYI, Oedo Onsen is pretty well known to be strict on tattoos, so it's generally not recommended for those sporting ink.

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/9/19 23:02
Do these restrictions tô tattooed people include Ryokan thenselves, or just the baths?
by Sergio (guest) rate this post as useful

Updating news on Tattoos 2015/12/17 16:55
Sorry to dig out an old thread, but just as a follow-up, recent news tells us that due to the increase of foreign visitors and change of culture some facilities are even starting to distribute stickers for their guests to hide tattoos as a courtesy to other users.
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASHDH64W8HDHUEHF01R.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/12/19 23:01
I'm not sure I agree with the others about tattoos becoming more acceptable in onsens. I go to onsens a lot and almost always see a sign at the entrance saying "No Tattoos", or get asked by a staff member to make sure I don't have them before they let me enter. There might be a few chains that allow it, but this is very much an exception to the rule. I also disagree with those who say to go in anyway. If your friend breaks the rules and enters an onsen that doesn't allow tattoos, they are likely to receive rude looks and stares by the other customers and made to feel uncomfortable, or even asked to leave the onsen. If they're willing to take that risk then that's their choice, but I think it's best to take a private bath instead to avoid creating an embarrassing situation for all involved.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/12/21 12:05
I'm not sure I agree with the others about tattoos becoming more acceptable in onsens.

I agree with your observations coming from the perspective of an everyday visitor. But on a global level there are definitely changes being made. Up to a year or so ago there used to be a blanket "no tattoos" policy across the entire industry. So to have big industry influencers like Hoshino Resorts revise their official policies is a big change, even if it hasn't trickled down to the everyday onsen yet. Furthermore, it's the chain places that tend to be the most strict so that kind of magnifies the significance.

I go to onsens a lot and almost always see a sign at the entrance saying "No Tattoos"

Yes, that has been fairly common over the last few year. Ironically, the real yakuza pay no attention to those signs. I see people with obvious yakuza tattoos fairly regularly at onsen across the country, regardless if there is a sign posted or not (and there usually are).

or get asked by a staff member to make sure I don't have them before they let me enter.

That does sound a little odd, and I've never had this happen to me or anyone in my party before.

If they're willing to take that risk then that's their choice, but I think it's best to take a private bath instead to avoid creating an embarrassing situation for all involved.

That is the best advice if you adhere to the strictest reading of the rules, which normally I'm in favor of. But my experiences with the tattoo issue are that the rule is posted more as a "CYA" measure and is often not enforced. It would be a shame to miss a great bath because you self-segregated yourself unnecessarily.

The trick is being able to read the air and figure out where your tattoos are and aren't acceptable. This may be difficult for those new to onsen, in which case they may be better off using the private baths.

Re: Tattoos in Onsen/Public Bath 2015/12/30 02:39
@Uco
Interesting generalization of the "Japanese."

It is not his personal generalization.
Do you know the sue cases in which the court judged it was not illegal for Osaka city to have punished staff who refused to answer tattoo inquiry?
And according to recent inquiry report by a lawyer institution, 80% of Japanese think of tattoos "unpleasant" thing regardless of whether the person is a yakuza or not.
And according to another inquiry over 90% answered they will not allow their children to get tattoos.
by amenoshita (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread