Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/21 17:28
In September on a weekday my family will be travelling from Kanazawa to Takayama and would like to make a stopover in Shirakawa-go. Does this itinerary seem practical?

2.30pm Arrive by bus and store luggage.
2.40pm Cross bridge and take (3pm?) bus to viewpoint
3.30pm Walk/bus to Wada House or Kanda House
4.15pm Walk to Gassho Zukuri Minka-en
4.30 Gassho Zukuri Minka-en
5.10pm retrieve luggage
5.20 bus to Takayama

If we only have time to visit one house, would you recommend Wada House or Kanda House?
by Ausfam (guest)  

Re: Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/21 17:44
I went to Shirakawago around the same time last year. It is quite small a village so I think you can easily visit both houses.. although if your health permits (depending on your age etc.), it is better to just visit by walking, and save yourself some time waiting for the bus.. you can easily walk up to the little hill and get a good view of the place, and everywhere along the way is beautiful..
by castletime rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/21 18:26
Depending on which bus you catch - it might stop on top of the hill for 5 minutes. When I visited with my parents a few years ago this is what they did. but there are different companies which offer buses between Takayama and Kanazawa
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/21 18:55
Thanks for the reassurance.

Coming from Kanazawa and going on to Takayama, I thought it would have to be the Nohi bus?

My 15 year old was horrified and said "Mum! Is our whole holiday going to be planned like this??"
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/21 20:31
Hi Ausfam,

If your in a family, my biggest suggestion is not to move around too much and give yourself time to explore each town.

On the Nohi bus - I think it runs between both cities but there are also other private buses that run as well.

On Shirakawagoe, I've visited twice. Once overnight and once for a couple of hours with my parents, both were very different experiences. As someone else mentioned, it's a small town and a couple of hours is plenty. There is heaps of luggage storage but it also gets busy so be warned.

Using the Takkyubin Service (having your luggage sent to your next hotel) and taking a day pack between the two towns with one night of clothes and the like might be a good idea.

Re: Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/22 07:32
Thanks for your advice, mfedley. Not all our trip will be so busy. We have 5 days to explore Tokyo, then 3 nights in Kyoto. Then the pace speeds up with 1 day in Kanazawa, the quick visit to Shirakawago, 2 nights in Takayama, and half a day in Matsumoto on the way back to Tokyo.

Also really enjoying your travel blog. Fantastic photos from the aquarium today!
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa-go quick visit 2015/6/22 12:33
Hi Ausfam,

That seems very doable. I'm happy that you've only included half a day in Matsumoto. It's a pretty town but apart from the castle there is not really much to do there though. I will however say that Matsumoto castle was my 12 yo nephews highlight of his trip to Japan.

reply to this thread