Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/27 00:09

I'm from the Philippines and in this upcoming academic year I will be in my senior year as an undergrad student. I just want to know the difficulty of the entrance exam of Japanese universities particularly TohokuU or KyushuU for my graduate study.

I want to start my preparations for the exams since I'm not that confident with my knowledge as of now (I'm just an average student by the way). Also, I'm interested in the MEXT scholarship.

I am very interested to study in Japan so please do help me and thank you. :)
by Luishi (guest)  

Re: Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/28 12:59
Both are highly ranked international universities. However, the difficulty for entry will depend a lot on the research area. It's best to contact potential supervisors in each university and discuss entry with them.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/28 14:07
If you can gain a MEXT scholarship, it's not so much difficult.
If you can not gain a Govt funded scholarship, it's difficult.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/28 14:52
As for the research field I'm still deciding whether to go to aerospace engineering, mechanical systems and design or applied physics.

Thank you for your answers, I'll my best to study for the entrance exam.
by Luishi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/28 16:25
you may not enter universities in Japan directly, because you have only 11 years education (Japan request 12 years education to enter university.)
need more research.

you may ask the average score of scholarship winners to the Japan Embassy in Philippine.
according to the documents of 2003,
240 graduate school students, 37 undergraduates.
the value is total students. 37 means about 10 students per year.
if you are within 10 top-score in the applicants, you have a possibility.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/30 15:30
If you have necessary qualities then no. It is tougher to enter the National Universities compared to Private.
You need a soild research theme/proposal and good/fair Japanese language. Strong english is prefered, however you will be doing very less things in English language. I dont know why but if you have a soild english language and japanese language your selection chances are higher. Your previous scores wont matter much.
It is very difficult to enter directly as a masters student in Japan for foreign students unless you know your professor very well and have excellect education background+language and stuff. I suggest you to apply for research student then join masters on the same university.

Source: Experience..I am studying in National university.
by k4k4shi rate this post as useful

Re: Is it hard to enter a Japanese university? 2015/6/30 15:35
About the scholarship. Chances of getting MEXT scholarship is high in Phd courses. If you are a average student then i suggest you to apply for other private scholarship. Japan has many scholarship support specially for foreign students. After finishing your undergrad, join a university as a research student, during that time explore and research for scholarship and other stuff. Contact seniors from your own country in the university. etc
by k4k4shi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread