Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/6/30 10:38
Hey everyone. I want to buy a ipad for my brother. Can anyone suggest me where i can buy tax free apple products to take back home?Also do i need my passport for these things?
thank you!
by k4k4shi  

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/6/30 12:17
Tourists can shop tax free at the apple store. You'll need to show your passport and have a temporary visitor stamp. Note that tax free in Japan doesn't mean you won't have to pay import taxes when bringing it back to your home country, so be aware of that.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/6/30 12:19
Thank you!
by k4k4shi rate this post as useful

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/1 00:12
If I'm correct you cannot buy any apple product that require a sim card for 3G or 4G support, these are usually on a contract.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/1 01:33
If I'm correct you cannot buy any apple product that require a sim card for 3G or 4G support, these are usually on a contract.

You are not correct.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/1 02:05
I was going to buy a ipad mini, they say I had to get it with a contract.

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/1 10:08
I was going to buy a ipad mini, they say I had to get it with a contract.

There seems to be some sort of confusion then as there is no restriction on buying devices that use a sim card for 3G or 4G service. The apple store also does not require you to buy an ipad with a contract.

Perhaps you were shopping somewhere else, like a softbank store, docomo store or electronic store, where they only sell ipads bundled with a service contract?

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/1 20:18
It was at BIC Camera

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/1 20:22
And that explains it

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/2 09:50
In yamada denki, you can buy two types with contract and without in different floors.
Can we use without contracts cellular model in countries outside japan?
by k4k4shi rate this post as useful

Re: Buy genuine electronics products without tax 2015/7/2 11:18
Depends on the original carrier as cellular ipads bought at electronics stores typically come locked. Check with the rep, but Docomo probably will unlock while Softbank will not. Also note that they probably don't sell the ipad unbundled with contract service.

reply to this thread