Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Options for Cash 2015/7/2 09:42
I'm trying to work through my best options for cash in Japan. I'm asking because my bank, BB&T, offers a $10 flat fee for converting USD to Yen.

First: What is a reasonable amount of cash to have on hand for a two week trip to Japan?

Second: What are the out-of-network ATM fees like in Japan (this would be in addition to BB&T's foreign transaction fees on my ATM card)?

Thanks, this will help me figure out if I should bring my money first or not. If anybody else is a BB&T customer what have your experiences been?
by jsonitsac  

Re: Best Options for Cash 2015/7/2 10:59
I'm trying to work through my best options for cash in Japan. I'm asking because my bank, BB&T, offers a $10 flat fee for converting USD to Yen.

A ten dollar flat conversion fee in my experience is relatively high, as I think most banks charge closer to $5. But what is their exchange rate?

First: What is a reasonable amount of cash to have on hand for a two week trip to Japan?

I would land with at least around 10,000 yen per person and then get cash in Japan at the airport or 711/postal atms. The rates are usually better than buying yen in the US.

Second: What are the out-of-network ATM fees like in Japan (this would be in addition to BB&T's foreign transaction fees on my ATM card)?

The postal and 711 atms do not charge a fee. You will only be paying your banks foreign transaction fees, conversion fees, and atm fees. I would suggest getting a travel friendly credit card too (like the capital venture card for example) with zero foreign transaction fees. The exchange rates are very close to the interbank rates, so you'll save money by paying with them as much as possible instead of converting to cash first.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread