Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/2 22:42
Hello,

My trip is still many months away but I just watched Japanese news and got me worried about my transit time. On January 16, 2016 06:25am, I will be arriving at Kansai. Then I have to catch a domestic flight departs at 08:00am. I've got exactly 95 minutes. I think I don't have to collect my luggage, it should be check-through. Thai Airways then ANA domestic.

In the news, they were interviewing passengers who arrived at Kansai, and they were complaining about long line before the immigration. Some had to wait over 2 hours. It was also showing a group of Taiwanese Tour arriving at Kansai. A tour guide told the airport staff that they won't be able to catch the connecting flight in time, but this airport staff didn't care and this tour group had to wait at the end of the queue. Not sure if they made it in time. I also checked airport reviews online. Some arrived on April 2015 had to wait well over 2 hours. And there were many other similar complaints.

What do you think? I am really quite worried now. Will I encounter this problem when I arrive in January?

Thank you
by Sitti01  

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/3 12:30

they were complaining about long line before the immigration. Some had to wait over 2 hours.

We had a similar experience last October ; arrived in the evening , a very long queue before the immigration . The immigration staff were in full swing, every counter was manned, still it took about 2 hours to exit the immigration. We were then too late to go to Nagoya, and had to stay the night in Osaka.
I assume Japan is getting very popular now, hence so many more tourists visit the country.

Your arrival will be early in the morning, immigration probably won't be that bad. Still it is hard to predict.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/6 19:16
Your best bet is to let the departure airport staff know you will transit at Kansai to a domestic flight. Then on arrival into Kansai let that airport staff know you are to transit to a domestic flight. Most times there is a special line for passengers going onto other flights( or need WCHR use), but you have to be placed in that line by a airport staff member. In that line you should clear in less 15mins. Plan to pick up and claim your bags, then recheck-in with ANA.

In April I was in line for just over an hour, but friends a few days later got close to 2 hours in line. Evening seems to be the bigger problem, not so much in the morning. I have heard many airlines have complained about the long lines and there has been some improvements made for a shorter wait time.

Part of the problem is many passengers are not helping to speed up the line. Be ready to take fingerprints and a photo. Both have to be done, so just do it. If traveling with others, make sure everyone is ready to do both.

For the most part I would not worry too much. If you can change to a later flight, that is best. It is always better to spend a extra hour or 2 in a airport waiting for your flight than to spend the nights because you missed your flight.
by HNL Hawaiian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/7 09:58
You are cutting it too close for comfort. Kansai is a really popular place. Unlike Narita that has Haneda to help and Central International that is mostly for business travelers, Kansai has to take the full blunt of people going to Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Shikoku and all the cities in between.

I have taken the flight into KIX a number of times. 12-2 is the best period for arrivals.
6 am has little in terms of queue. It starts to pick up about 7 and at 8 onwards it is a full battalion march.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/17 05:29
Thank you for the info and advises, and sorry for slow reply.

I did call Thai Airways. They assured me that ANA is a partnered airline (Star Alliance) and my luggage with be through checked to my destination. So I don't need to collect my luggage and check-in. Now I have more time to handle KIX immigration lines.

As for connecting time, they basically told me not to worry. I didn't buy tickets for both flights separately. I purchased a single itinerary, one confirmation number for both flights from my origin to my destination. All tickets sold on airlines' website meet minimum connecting time at each airport. Otherwise, it wouldn't show up at all. And they will take responsibility of booking next flight if I miss my connecting flight due to delay of incoming flight. I asked about possible long line at KIX and operator didn't know anything about it. Just repeated that my tickets meet airlines' minimum connecting time and I should be ok.

I guess I just have to test my luck and see how it goes. This trip is still 5 months away. Hopefully things will improve at KIX by then. As you guys mentioned, apparently lines in early morning aren't so bad. Since my incoming flight arrives at 06:25am, maybe I do have more than enough time (fingers crossed).
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/17 06:37
They assured me that ANA is a partnered airline (Star Alliance) and my luggage with be through checked to my destination. So I don't need to collect my luggage and check-in. Now I have more time to handle KIX immigration lines.

I don't think that is correct. If you're passing thru immigration at KIX, your bags will also have to undergo customs inspection at KIX. If you were only using KIX as a transit stop to a destination other than Japan than what they said would be true, but if it's a domestic flight then no.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/17 08:38
Sounds like the Thai Air gave you wrong info. When you land at KIX, you'll need to go through immigration and customs which means your luggage will be checked by the customs. You'll need to get your luggage and recheck in to ANA flight.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/17 12:59
I missed a connecting flight once before and I vow never to have such short transit times.
You cannot control when and where the plane lands. Sometimes you have to change terminals after going through immigration.
What if you have to queue for the toilet. That's another 10-15 mins. Do you know where to go? Have you been at that airport? Signage can sometimes be misleading. Do you speak Japanese to quickly ask for direction or read the signs.

95 mins seems like a tight connecting time. Are you travelling during high season? Snow/ typhoon weather?

Have your trip insured just in case you do miss the flight and have to pay for another flight. Know what to expect of you miss the flight.

Good lick!
by Travel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worried about my transit time at Kansai 2015/7/17 13:47
Looks like you guys are right. I just double checked KIX and others website, all pointing to I have collect my luggage at Kansai then check-in at ANA domestic counter.

But, at least, I just found one good news, KIX is opening new Fast Lane for immigration on July 18, which is tomorrow. They are all adding 4 more immigration booths. I'll be flying to KIX in business class so I should be given a voucher in the flight that allows me to use Fast Lane.

However, still looks like I'm cutting it a bit too close. I really don't want to miss my domestic flight otherwise I'll have adjust big portion of my schedules. I really hope airline is right about its "minimum connecting time" thing. I also hope ANA can hold my flight check-in open until very last minute of their final preparation.
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread