Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

History of women changing name when married 2015/7/3 21:30
When did it become the custom for women to change their surname when marrying (to the husband's name)? I am going to guess the Meiji Constitution, but I cannot find any information on this.
by wata geiru  

Re: History of women changing name when married 2015/7/4 11:58
Japanese government imported the constitution of Germany
when they make their own constitution in Meiji era.So this custom ,woman changing name ,came from Germany.But the current constitution of Germany had changed.(from wikipedia)
by aikoon rate this post as useful

Re: History of women changing name when married 2015/7/4 13:57
As far as I can look up, it was back in 1898 that they set the rule to establish "households" headed by the male, and that the wife marrying into that household must change her surname to the husband's.

Then in 1947, the civil code was amended to say that the couple could choose either the husband's or the wife's surname to be theirs.

(Actually one of my friends changed his name to hers when they got married.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: History of women changing name when married 2015/7/4 17:07
My understanding is that not all families had "family names" before Meiji. Meanwhile, women were hardly recorded in history. Anyway, the form of "marriage" itself dramatially changed from time to time, and perhaps from region to region.

But note that a lot of conservative families in Japan try to maintain its household, so if they only have female children, they take it for granted for their (typically the eldest) daughter's husband to take her family name to inherit her household. This is still quite common outside Greater Tokyo.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: History of women changing name when married 2015/7/6 18:56
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I had read the Wikipedia article on the Meiji Constitution to see if my hunch was correct, but I didn't see that particular fact you pointed out, Ai.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: History of women changing name when married 2015/7/8 05:06
Where I come from women do not change their maiden name on official papers, yet are usually know by their husband name..and can get credit cards etc. under his name..I think..

On official government papers their name is still their maiden name and a mention is added to say that they are married to Mr. X

Miss Balmon Marie, once married, is listed as:
Madame Balmon Marie, spouse Guibeau"

Balmon and Guibeau are ,obviously, family names.
by Rueful renard (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread