Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Possible Itinerary; Best Way(s) to Travel? 2015/7/4 00:45
Hello everyone, first-traveler to Japan here. I'll be there from August 4th to August 20th. Here's my Itinerary so far; really need some input about the best (read:cheapest) way to travel from place to place. Thanks in advance for any input.

August 4th: Arrive at Kansai International Airport, travel to hotel near JR NAMBA or JR SHINSAIBASHI stations.

August 5th: Osaka
August 6th: Osaka

August 7th: Head to Nara, hotel is located near JR NARA station.
August 8th: From Nara, travel to YOSHINO for a day trip, return to Nara in the evening.

August 9th: Head to Nagoya, hotel is near SAKAE SUBWAY STATION.
August 10th: Day trip to SETO, return to Nagoya in the evening.

August 11th: Head to Hida-Takayama, hotel is near JR TAKAYAMA station.
August 12th: Hida-Takayama

August 13th: Head to Kyoto, hotel is near JR KYOTO TRAIN STATION.
August 14th-18th: Kyoto

August 19th: Maybe head to HIMEJI CASTLE, if not, then just back to Osaka, hotel is near SHICHIDO TRAIN STATION.
August 20th: Go to Kansai International Airport, fly home.

So, there are a lot of stations with JR attached to it, which initially made me think that I should just buy a JR Pass (that also covers subways and city buses, right?). But, I'll be in Kyoto for almost a week, so maybe a JR pass is a bit of a waste at that point; should I opt for a JR Kansai pass as well? Or, is there a better way to get around Kyoto?

I also thought about the Shisein 18 Kippu, but frankly, I've tried using hyperdia.com and I'm still not entirely sure which lines it would cover and which ones it wouldn't.

So, I guess my real question is: should I just get a JR pass for simplicity's sake, or there is some way I can use a combination of different passes to save some money traveling from place-to-place?

Thanks for any input/advice, much appreciated!

-Sean-

by DrummerSean  

Re: Possible Itinerary; Best Way(s) to Travel? 2015/7/4 07:30
The JR Pass does NOT cover city buses or subways.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Possible Itinerary; Best Way(s) to Travel? 2015/7/4 11:08
Thanks John B, good to know!
by DrummerSean rate this post as useful

Re: Possible Itinerary; Best Way(s) to Travel? 2015/7/4 12:05
1. JR Namba station is not so convenient if you are coming from Kansai Airport. From Kansai Airport, Nankai line will take you to Nankai Namba and JR line will take you to Tennoji, Osaka and Shin-Osaka without transfer.

2. There is no JR Shinsaibashi station. Shinsaibashi is a subway station.

3. Have you already booked the hotels? Your itinerary includes "Obon" days (13th to 15th August) which is one of the busiest days in Japan. Further, 16th August is the day of Gozan no Okuribi in Kyoto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gozan_no_Okuribi

so that hotels are tend to be full and very expensive for these days. In general, August is the month when the hotel rates are high and the rooms are hard to find.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Possible Itinerary; Best Way(s) to Travel? 2015/7/4 13:40
Very good info, Frog, thanks very much!

Yes, I've already booked my hotels; actually, the Gozan no Okuribi is the main reason why I am going to Japan. I plan to walk the Philosopher's Path from Nanzen-Ji up to the northern end, and from there find a good spot to observe the festival at 20:00.
by DrummerSean rate this post as useful

Re: Possible Itinerary; Best Way(s) to Travel? 2015/7/4 16:34
Honestly you will make many train rides some of which are on JR lines while others will be some private railways such as Nankai and Kintetsu. I will write a rough draft for you itinerary.

August 4th: Arrive at Kansai International Airport, travel to hotel near JR NAMBA or JR SHINSAIBASHI stations.

Nankai line will be convenient. You are after international flight so you may want to use comfortable and somewhat faster Rapiit limited express train. There is "Rapiit Kippu" 1130 yen.

http://www.howto-osaka.com/en/ticket/ticket/tokuwari.html

August 5th: Osaka
August 6th: Osaka

If you want to visit some of the tourist spots, consider Osaka Amazing Pass 2 days.

http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

August 7th: Head to Nara, hotel is located near JR NARA station.
August 8th: From Nara, travel to YOSHINO for a day trip, return to Nara in the evening.
August 9th: Head to Nagoya, hotel is near SAKAE SUBWAY STATION.

For this section, Kintetsu Rail Pass will pay off.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html

You can use limited express trains three times for free. Use them for Nara-Yoshino (round trip) and Nara-Nagoya. Each section needs transfer but I believe Kintetsu will provide you with a limited express reserved seat ticket valid for two or three trains.

August 10th: Day trip to SETO, return to Nagoya in the evening.

Buy JR and a private rail tickets separately. Or for your convenience, Icoca card might be useful. You can buy it at Kansai Airport JR ticket booth. Do not buy Icoca and Haruka ticket.

August 11th: Head to Hida-Takayama, hotel is near JR TAKAYAMA station.
August 12th: Hida-Takayama
August 13th: Head to Kyoto, hotel is near JR KYOTO TRAIN STATION.

You will stay two nights at Takayama, so I think you might better go to Shirakawago and then Kanazawa before going to Kyoto. For this itinerary, Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass will be good for you.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

August 14th-18th: Kyoto

Train network in Kyoto is not so convenient and there are some train companies which you may want to use. You should plan your trip within Kyoto using Arukumachikyoto.

http://www.arukumachikyoto.jp/index.php?lang=en

August 19th: Maybe head to HIMEJI CASTLE, if not, then just back to Osaka, hotel is near SHICHIDO TRAIN STATION.

If you go to Himeji, buy JR Kansai Area Pass one day. Shichido is on Nankai line so take JR to Shin-imamiya and then transfer to Nankai line to Shichido. Of course you can't use JR Kansai Area Pass for Shin-imamiya to Shichido.

Hope this helps.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread