Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/5 12:47
Preferred self-drive so the grandparent and kids will not need to walk too much. Understand best to take public transport with Tokyo. So which town is the best place to take up a car for self drive outside Tokyo? Will spend the first week around Toyama and last 2 full days in Tokyo. Appreciate any advice on "must see" places and transport suitable for 3 generations together. Thanks.
by sean (guest)  

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/5 13:37
Hi, just to add, the trip is planned for Dec 2015. thanks.
by sean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/5 14:02
If NOT from snow country or no snow drive ever No recommend snow/iced car road drive.
Tokyo is no falling usual but Toyama is one of heavy snow county.
But in Dec not always falling just depends on weather.

So take a train(Hokuriku shinkansen/no transfer from JR Tokyo stn to JR Toyama stn) best.

If snow drive possible book a rent car from Toyama or after Nagano stn enough.
by TFc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/6 10:14
Agreed with the do not drive in snow if you have no prior experience. Whole different ball game. Don't cause a jam when you car gets stuck in sleek.

For places to drive, from Toyama to Karuizawa via Nagano has some mountainous and forest scenery. It too has hot springs along the way. Though with the great trains of Japan, I would rather train to each city and bus around.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/6 12:04
Gooday Sean. I never drive in Japan because the public transport is so awesome. But being at Toyama, I'd suggest getting to Kanazawa (I wouldn't drive, I'd take the train) and Shirakawa (I'd take the bus there from Kanazawa, you might get snow and when I was there late December it was icy as buggery and old people were going over like ninepins) and Takayama (very nice town, I'd take the train from Toyama or the bus from Shirakawa). For the self drive part I'd go out along the Noto peninsula. It looks amazing right out the end, and public transport is not brilliant there so I've never been (maybe next time).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/6 12:41
I agree with Pious. Noto Peninsular would make for an interesting drive.
There are little towns, straw houses, up-side waterfalls, small villages, windy roads through Christmas tree forests, terraced fields, coastal cliffs, and Lamp no Yado.

Izu Peninsular is another place to self drive. Beaches, rugged rocks, hot springs, waterfalls... Now that I think about it, all the peninsulas are great for self drive! Revelation! Might as well throw Izu Peninsular in there too.

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/6 22:27
Thank you all very much for the advices. Now I have pretty good idea for our travel plan. Thanks again!
by Sean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/7 09:27
I've just driven around Noto and I think that it is a nice area to drive - however it does get quite a bit of snow in winter from memory.

The Izu Peninsula close to Tokyo should be fine to drive in winter - but there are also plenty of other places of course....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 1st time to Japan with a family of 6 2015/7/7 09:51
Agree with mfedly on this one. I had snow/hail attacking the windshields. When I stopped at the terraced fields there was super strong winds from the sea, rain/seawater splashing onto my face, and snow smacking my back. Attacked by winds on two sides. I was swaying as I walked.

reply to this thread