Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Owakudani and Hakone 2015/7/6 16:48
Hello
with the closure of Owakudani I was thinking of starting from Tokyo to
Kawaguchiko Lake and see the fifth station of Mount Fuji, and from there go to Hakone and take Hazone Tozan Railway, and Owakudani Ropeway above, and take a trip to Hakone and Lake Ashi perhaps with the boat. Do you think you can in a day, starting early in the morning from Tokyo and returning in the evening? I read that to Hakone not always possible to see Mount Fuji, is it true?
by Obiwan1978  

Re: Owakudani and Hakone 2015/7/6 18:10
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html
How to get to Kawaguchiko area from Tokyo is explained here.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_014.html
Traveling between Kawaguchiko area and Hakone is shown here.

But in my view, doing a round trip to Hakone only (if you really want to spend time to see things) will take up one day. Squeezing in Kawaguchiko might be a bit tight. An overnight stay is recommended.

From Kawaguchiko, you should be able to see the whole Mt. Fuji, not the 5th station.

As as currently the Ropeway in Hakone is closed (due to the proximity to Owakudani), you would probably have to go straight to Togendai t enjoy the boat on the lake, then take the bus back to Hakone-yumoto, then to Odawara, back to Shinjuku, or something like that.

And you are correct, it is not always possible to see Mt. Fuji from Hakone. The best viewing spots from Hakone (in my experience) have been from the ropeway, unfortunately closed now, and atop Mt. Komagatake.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Owakudani and Hakone 2015/7/9 07:46
do you think I could do this with the schedules:
- Romance Car from Shinjuku
- Hakone Tozan Railway
-Bus Until Hakone
- Cruise on Lake Ashi
- Bus to Kawaguchiko
- Back in Shinjuku

or should I give up the cruise.
I state that
1) the experience of the onsen we want to leave for Kyoto
2) museums around Hakone not interest us +
3) I want to take the Hakone Tozan
4) go up to hakone and see Mount Fuji would seem a mockery
by Obiwan1978 rate this post as useful

Re: Owakudani and Hakone 2015/7/9 10:51
Just a few quick comments:

1) the experience of the onsen we want to leave for Kyoto

They hot springs around Hakone are much better, plus Kyoto doesn't really have onsen, especially not in the city.

4) go up to hakone and see Mount Fuji would seem a mockery

Hakone is probably one of the most picturesque places to view the mountain from, provided it is visible. That's one reason why it's popular and well known for the view.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread