Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 12:44
I am on spouse visa. I went to Tokyo for working short time(6-9 month), the job is finished in May 2015. I told my company that I cannot continue the work for long time in Tokyo because my family live in Osaka. I came back to my family in Osaka in June 2015. The same Tokyo company will give me some freelance Translation work from Osaka home from July. I can make some 10 to 15 man from this job every month. I have 3 questions.
Is there any problem while updating the visa if my paying company is in Tokyo and I am working form Osaka home?
Is it necessary that the person on spouse visa must work in same prefecture where he live with the spouse?
Is it good if I find some regular contract job in other company in Osaka at same time? I know I cant do other paid work if I am proper employee(正社員) of some company?
Your knowledge and comments will be appreciated.
by Temp_41 (guest)  

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 15:21
- If you are on Spouse of Japanese National status, you are free to work without any restriction, including "remote" or "freelance" work. Translation jobs are something you can accept and deliver via e-mail, right? That should be no problem.

- Are you talking about commuting, for example, to Kyoto to work during the day while you return home at night to Osaka? That is no problem. What kind of situation do you have in mind?

- When you say "regular contract job," you mean not 正社員, but some kind of 契約社員 job, or other freelance based spot job? As long as your contract does not prohibit side jobs, that should be OK.
In any case, if you are not a "salaried worker" but receive payments from multiple sources, you will need to do your own tax filing, but that is another topic.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 15:33
What kind of situation do you have in mind?

Some people have encountered trouble when their work address is very far from their home address, apparently immigration is wary of marriages where the spouses do not live together, probably because it's more likely that such marriages are fake.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 16:12
Firas,

Yes, I know. That is why I brought up the example of living in Osaka (I know Osaka is vast though) and "commuting" to somewhere in Kyoto for work, and I meant that to be daily commute, not weekly. If it's within a reasonable commuting distance (for example, around Tokyo, commuting from Chiba prefecture to central Tokyo is considered a normal commute), that should be no problem.

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 16:27
Yes but here he'd be living in Osaka and "working" in Tokyo. But I suspect immigration would be satisfied if he explained that he's really working from home and it's just the company that's in Tokyo. It could even be possible to simply register his home as his "work address".

Bottom-line, just ask immigration, they're the ones holding the answer anyway.

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 16:49
Oh, I thought he'd be living in Osaka, and taking translation work from a company located in Tokyo, where I assumed he'd be taking those translation work assignments via e-mails to PC "at home" in Osaka, doing that translation work on his PC at home in Osaka, and NOT going to Tokyo to do that work!

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 16:55
That's why I'm saying he may have to explain that he's working remotely, otherwise if there's only the company address in Tokyo on the visa application form, it could raise some eyebrows.

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/7 16:58
No, that company is not going to be the "employer" once he is no longer with them, and he only gets work from them on a freelance basis.

I know someone (personally) who does freelance translation work, and is on a spouse visa, and his "employers" (translation agencies and some direct clients) are located in Tokyo, in different parts of Kanto region, Kyoto, and Osaka... and it has never been a problem in terms of resident status. In the "occupation/employer" column you write that you are a "translator," and use the home address as "work address," and that is it.

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/9 15:54
Hi AK and Firas,

Thanks for your kind suggestion and sharing knowledge. I hope there should be no problem to work from Osaka home and the paying company is from Tokyo. I can get the letter from Tokyo company that I am working form home on freelance basis.
by Temp_41 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/9 16:13
No, that company is not going to be the "employer" once he is no longer with them, and he only gets work from them on a freelance basis.

But nobody has talked of "freelance" work in this question. ;)

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/9 16:37
The same Tokyo company will give me some freelance Translation work from Osaka home from July.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/9 17:25
The OP has been talking about "freelance" translation from the start...

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/11 10:47
Hi Guest and AK,
Thanks again. I will check with my city office also about it and check how to pay the tax in this case. I know many Japanese people work from home(在宅). Yes the work is freelance basis, the company will pay me on the basis of work volume.
by Temp_41 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa and working from home 2015/7/11 11:11
if you are a freelance, you have to file every year at Osaka.
even in the cases the payers deducts some taxes, still you need to file tax claim.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread