Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/9 02:18
Hi everybody.

I'm leaving for Japan in a couple of days. Will I be able to withdraw money with my maestro card and/or with my mastercard credit-card? Both cards have emv-chips on the front and were issued in Belgium. I'm finding lot's of mixed and outdated information online...

I haven't got the time left to exchange euros for yen, so the cards are basically my only option of getting money in Japan, so I'm starting to panic :). Thanks in advance for helping me out!
by Fonz (guest)  

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/9 10:02
As recently as May of this year, I witnessed that a chip MasterCard cash card from Belgium could not be used at ATM in post offices in Japan. I checked the MasterCard website, and found out that you might be able to withdraw cash at Aeon Bank ATM (located in some Aeon shopping malls and other locations - please look them up) and Seven Bank ATM (at 7-11 convenience stores).

When you arrive in Japan, you can exchange some euro cash into yen cash at money exchange at the airport, just for immediate use :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/9 11:33
7-11 combini ATM and some selected ion supermarket ATM only accept it.
There are heaps 7-11 in large city.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/9 18:03
So I should be able to withdraw money with my maestro card at 7/11's? That would be awesome. Leaving tomorrow, hoping for the best :)
by Fonz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/27 07:02
Hey can I get an update?

Im also from belgium and I'm going to japan 10th august, So does it work or not?
by Praemos rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/27 07:09
Praemos, I would suggest you PM Fonz in case he doesn't come to this site while she/he's away in Japan. Perhaps he/she has set the settings to warn of PMs via e-mail.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/27 08:50
The same notification that I read about two months ago is still up here:

http://www.mastercard.co.jp/personal/atm-notification.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/27 09:14
Here is a link with some credit card information from March of this year http://xpatnation.co/only-in-japan-atms-wont-take-your-foreign-bank-ca...
I recommend bringing more than one credit card... if one isn't accepted you still have another one you can try.
When we were in Japan earlier this year our Visa card wouldn't work at the 7/11 ATM but the AmEx did. Go figure....
Happy trails!
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/27 10:31
Quick update live from japan: you are able to withdraw money with your maestro card at 7/11. No problem, woohoow!
by Fonz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: withdraw with maestro card from Belgium? 2015/7/29 07:00
Wohoow thx for the updates guys, have fun in japan I can't wait to go!!

yeah I guess I'll borrow my parents their Credit card and take it a long just in case something doesnt work out

anyways BIG THX
by Praemos rate this post as useful

reply to this thread