Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/13 15:02
My fiancé and I are from the U.S. And are going to Japan next April and we plan on having a wedding ceremony there. It's more of an elopement and we want a western style ceremony. I've contacted a few places in Japan and even a travel agent to help us find something. We really just need to find an officiant, photographer and somewhere to have it. We want it outdoors. And we're not doing a reception, just a nice simple ceremony. One of the agencies I've contacted is wedding pro Japan, has anyone ever heard or used them? Their prices are pretty ideal but the website is so outdated that it's throwing me off. I can't find any reviews on the company so if you know anything could you please share? Any other suggestions on companies? We would love to be married in Kyoto during the cherry blossoms or somewhere I Tokyo. Thanks!
by Midoripotatoe (guest)  

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/15 13:05
I know nothing about these things, but I suppose you've already found this.
https://www.facebook.com/danielpatrick.arakelian
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/16 04:45
I know a few people from Hong Kong that had their wedding at Okinawa, it's a very popular place for weddings.

Not sure about Kyoto, but as long as you can pay for it, I think it isn't any problem.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/16 04:48
this one looks ok.

http://www.woohuh-production.com/#!en-kyoto-gallery/cd7q

Do a google search for wedding in Kyoto sakura and you get plenty results.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/30 11:25
Are you also trying to do the legal aspects of the wedding as well? As everything you've described so far is just ceremonial in Japan. The legal marriage it's a different, paperwork intensive, process that isn't particularly romantic unless you have a thing for visiting governmental offices.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/30 15:32
Will you be married in the US, before or after your trip to Japan, and the Japanese wedding will only be a make-believe marriage, with an officiant that is not an official but will go through the western routine (we are here to join in matrimony...) just for the show, in a nice setting?

An elopement, by the way, means that a couple escape controlling parents that do not want them to be married at any cost, and escape to another US State, or another country, where they can be legally married.
It used to be easy..thought it meant no longer seeing their families, at least for a number of years, and having to find jobs, a home..in an unknown place..

by Rueful renard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/31 04:39
Just so that you're clear: in Japan you marry at the City Hall and the rest is just ceremony for yourself and family, friends. Having been to US weddings and having had my own wedding in Japan with a Shinto ceremony 6 months later, I think it can be confusing. In the US you can have a minister or a justice of the peace perform the ceremony and it is official; in Japan this is not the case.
Even if the both of you are non-Japanese nationals, you can still marry at the Japanese City Hall of the area in which the hotel resides but it requires a lot of paperwork, involves your embassy and only comes down to filing in a form with proof that neither has an impediment and submitting this all to the clerk at the City Hall without any ceremony. Afterwards you can collect your marriage certificate in Japanese and that's all, you're married.
People in Japan often choose to have a western style ceremony with a minister, etc, but that has no legal standing, it is just for show.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/7/31 15:31
If you get legally married in Japan, your marriage will be obviously according to Japanese laws, and this might be a problem in case of divorce or inheritance etc.
by Rueful renard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/8/5 11:40
Thank you for the lesson in elopement, because that's exactly what I needed to answer my question. No, it's just going to be a western style ceremony. We will be getting legally married in the U.S. I'd rather not spend a day doing paperwork while on vacation.
by Midoripotatoe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/11/10 17:19
There is a fantastic Japanese traditional Wedding service for foreigners inKyoto. Is not so pricy and it allows a traditional wedding on a Japanese Shrine in Kyoto: www.kyoto-weddings.jp

by josekun rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/11/10 18:17
Congratulations on your marriage... but... why would you come to Japan and have a western style ceremony?

You mean like in a chapel or something like that? With you in a white wedding dress and him in a formal suit of some kind? And a 'priest' officiating?

by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding for foreigners? 2015/11/11 15:54
Why is everyone acting like Japan is unique in terms of the legal side being paperwork and not related to the ceremony? In the US and many (most?) countries, the wedding is purely social and/or religious. It has no legal standing anywhere.

If you are trying to get a real priest/pastor, you'll probably have to contact whatever organization is the head of your faith in Japan to find out what your options are.

For weddings with a fake priest or Shinto weddings, be aware that in Japan a lot of venues offer packages that you cannot add to or alter. For example, they will provide the photographer, hair and make-up people, hotel, venue, reception, etc. all together and you cannot for example tell them you have your own photographer or that you don't want parts of the package. You have to buy it as is with minimal options in terms of customization.
by Weds (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread