Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thunderbird to Kanazawa, luggage 2015/7/13 18:27
Hi,
I will be taking the Haruka train from Kansai airport to Shin Osaka and the Thunderbird Ltd exp to Kanazawa staying one night, going to Toyama next day evening and Tateyama Alpine Route after that.

After Tateyama I will be travelling on with some stopovers so carrying luggage is annoying.

From Kanazawa or Toyama I will send the luggage with takkyubin to wherever my next stop is, Somewhere in Kyushu.

So my plan is to arrive in Kyushu on day 4 (arrive Japan day 1).

Sending takkyubin from Kansai to KKanazawa takes at least 1 day, so I thought having it with me on Thunderbird train to Kanazawa and send it on day 2 or 3 to Kagoshima.

How long time to arrive in Kagoshima?

Would it matter if I send it on day 2 evening or day 3 morning?

How would my bag fit on the train? It measures 60 cm high, 41 wide and 24 thick. Not sure how wide the seat are, and how much space is in between the seat in front. Is there any space in the last row like on shinkansen?

Is it too big for overhead space?
by Lo (guest)  

Re: Thunderbird to Kanazawa, luggage 2015/7/14 04:16
You will be fine, I took the Thunderbird from Kanazawa to Kyoto in April 2014 with a piece of luggage the size of yours PLUS a bicycle in a rinko bukuro. There is space at the end of each carriage behind the last row of seats that you can put luggage in. Yours may well go overhead.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Thunderbird to Kanazawa, luggage 2015/7/14 05:17
Thank you.

In case needed, I wont have any problem stuffing it in front of me, could make a good legrest of course.

I must mention my first Japan trip I carried a 80 cm suitcase... add some inches on the width and depth.... oh dear...
by Lo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thunderbird to Kanazawa, luggage 2015/7/14 09:13
Will not be a problem - we're traveled the Thunderbird several times and not had a problem. Will be on it again tomorrow with bulky cases (we picked up a few goodies the past few days).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Thunderbird to Kanazawa, luggage 2015/7/14 10:02
No problem. It is like a shinkansen but just not as fast. The comfort and luggage storage is good.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thunderbird to Kanazawa, luggage 2015/7/14 10:15
Actually the Thunderbird was the reason I changed to smaller suitcases. We were on it on 1 January one year coming from Kanazawa to Kyoto, it was pretty much booked solid 2 days before we left so we were jammed in there like sardines even in the reserved cars and all of the luggage areas were taken up.

Our bags were too big to fit in the overhead, so we ended up with a very unpleasant journey. Since then I only take stuff that will fit in the overhead, if we have to.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread