Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt. Fuji mid-September? 2015/7/15 02:09
I would like to climb Mt. Fuji shortly after the official climbing season, maybe on 18th, starting from Tokyo/Shinjuku and finishing in Hakone.
I would take the bus from Shinjuku to Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station at 7.40, according to the japan-guide bus time timetable.

So the fuji subaru line is open at that time, right? Because fujisan-climb.org says it closes on September 14th, means there are no accommodations I guess?. Also, if I arrive there at 10am, I think I will need until evening to climb and descend Fuji.

What are my options then? I would like to visit Hakone next, is there any way to get to Hakone in the same night? I can't stay at the fuji subaru 5th station for the night, and it seems there are no buses down either.
So how should I plan my trip starting from Shinjuku, climbing Fuji and finishing in Hakone?
by John (guest)  

Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji mid-September? 2015/7/15 13:28
Fuji Subaru line is opened throughout the year unless it's heavy snow, rain fall, icy and strong wind.

Yoshida trail is closed on 14 Sep 2015, thus all huts on yoshida are closed by then. All bus service between Shinjuku and Fuji 5th sta arrive on yoshida 5th sta.

You can visit Mt Fuji 5th sta(yoshida 5th) from Shinjuku on 18 Sep 2015 without climbing.
eg, On 18 Sep, leave Shinjuku by Fuji-kyu highway bus at 7:40, arrive Mt Fuji 5th at 10:05. Leave Fuji 5th sta by Fuji-kyu local bus service at 11:40, arrive Kawaguchiko sta at 12:25, leave Kasaguchiko sta at 13:00, arrive Gotemba at 14:15, leave Gotemba sta for Premium outlets mall(free shuttle), leave Premium outlets at 16:45 for Hakone-Yumoto sta by Hakone-Tozan bus service.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji mid-September? 2015/7/15 13:48
I would like to climb Mt. Fuji shortly after the official climbing season, maybe on 18th, starting from Tokyo/Shinjuku and finishing in Hakone.

No problem with the climb, weather permitting of course. Most of the huts will be closed by then as will the public toilets, but you won't need the huts, especially if you plan to do it in a day hike.

I would take the bus from Shinjuku to Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station at 7.40, according to the japan-guide bus time timetable.
So the fuji subaru line is open at that time, right?

Yes, weather permitting.

Because fujisan-climb.org says it closes on September 14th, means there are no accommodations I guess?. Also, if I arrive there at 10am, I think I will need until evening to climb and descend Fuji.

Most of the huts on that side of the mountain are closed, except the Fujisan Miharashi at the 5th Station which is open through September:

http://fujisan5.com/lodge.php

Here's jnto's list:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/practical/pdf/Mt.Hut_Mt.Fuji....

What are my options then? I would like to visit Hakone next, is there any way to get to Hakone in the same night?

No, a 10am start means you won't be back down until around 10pm at night, which is too late to travel to Hakone. Stay at the Fujisan Miharashi.

Alternatively you could stay at the 7.5 station on the Gotemba trail and descend to the Gotemba trailhead the next morning. That would would make your travel on to Hakone a little simpler, plus you could run down the Osunabashiri in the morning.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji mid-September? 2015/7/15 20:26
Thank you for your fast replies! ok, to just shortly describe my travelplans: I plan to do a 2 week trip starting in Tokyo, climb Mt. Fuji, visit Hakone when an opportunity rises, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, (maybe hiroshima).. oh and of course I am puchasing a JR-Ticket.

Well, I have to take the same route down the mountain, because I have to store my luggage somewhere..So I guess either way, after climbing and ascending Mt.Fuji via the yoshida-rail, and to directly continue to Hakone/Kyoto/Osaka, the fastest way is to travel back in Tokyo-direction and from there to Hakone/Kyoto/Osaka, according to hyperdia time table..

What do you think about climbing Fuji from the south, via the Gotemba or Fujinomiya rail? Some huts are open too, and it seems buses also run during offseason?
Is that an easier way to climb and continue to Kyoto/Osaka and not returning to Tokyo? I could use the JR Tokaido-Shinkansen, right?

I am so sorry for that many questions! Everything is just so complicated, but I definitely want to climb Mt. Fuji!
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji mid-September? 2015/7/21 12:11
Well, I have to take the same route down the mountain, because I have to store my luggage somewhere..

You could store it in a locker at a station or send it ahead by luggage forwarding service. If you climb overnight then your bags should be waiting for you when you arrive at your next destination.

So I guess either way, after climbing and ascending Mt.Fuji via the yoshida-rail, and to directly continue to Hakone/Kyoto/Osaka, the fastest way is to travel back in Tokyo-direction and from there to Hakone/Kyoto/Osaka, according to hyperdia time table..

If you have a JR pass you may want to consider climbing from the south instead.

What do you think about climbing Fuji from the south, via the Gotemba or Fujinomiya rail? Some huts are open too, and it seems buses also run during offseason?
Is that an easier way to climb and continue to Kyoto/Osaka and not returning to Tokyo? I could use the JR Tokaido-Shinkansen, right?

Most places are closed on that side too, but that should affect the climb too much. Bus access is only on the weekends so you'd have to move the trip to the 19-20th:

http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji mid-September? 2015/9/16 23:24
Hey John,

I'm interested in what you ended up deciding as a plan? I'm a 20-something european student considering hiking on Mt Fuji this weekend ( probably sunday/monday ), so it's interesting to know if it's doable..

Looks to me like it's ill-advise to summit alone or even in a small group right now as the season ended, but going as high as the snow-line still seems reasonable if the weather permits..

by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread