Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/23 11:53
due to seismic activity there
by Patricia Lim (guest)  

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/23 13:06
No perfect way of forecast.

God only knows :)

Watch warning info from some weeks before.
http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/indexe.html
by eAm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/23 13:25
Hakone is a huge area and only the area around Owakudani is restricted now.

Details and maps are here.
http://www.hakone.or.jp/en/2278

Information on visiting Hakone is here:
http://www.hakonenavi.jp/english/

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/23 13:34
Hi Patricia,

Was asking the same question myself as I'm travelling in October as well. As the others say, at the moment, restricted area is Owakudani.
Unfortunately, we can't visit Owakudani, trying not the ropeway and eat sulphur eggs.
But other than that, other Hakone area is ok.
by Tie410 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/23 13:49
If the current condition stays as it is (no way to forecast), I'd say yes, it should be safe, it's just that you cannot go to Owakudani, and the ropeway is closed (a bus bypassing the whole area is available to get you to Togendai).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/23 16:36
I'm also travelling in October 2015 so intend to monitor the situation: if it stays as it is I will keep to my plan of visiting Hakone, even though the ropeway was one of the bits I was most looking forward to, however if the exclusion zone is extended then I'm currently looking into alternative options that will fit nicely into my itinerary.
At the moment I'm thinking that we would just add a day onto Kyoto as we are planning to visit Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto and don't feel like we're really allowing enough time for Kyoto, or alternatively we might add a different stop off in the middle.
I would definitely think of a back up plan just in case the situation changes but as it stands I will still be visiting Hakone.
by badlydg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/24 10:58
Hi everyone,

Same question here too as I'm going to Hakone with my family in Dec15. Have already booked a night accommodation and intend to get the 2 days Hakone Free pass.

Since only the ropeway & Owakudani area which is closed, are the rest of the transportations (eg. Tozan train/bus/Cable car/sightseeing cruise) still in operation as usual?

Is it still worth it to buy the Free Pass if we are travelling there from Shinjuku and back?

by vonnywee rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Hakone in October 2015? 2015/7/24 11:38
Since only the ropeway & Owakudani area which is closed, are the rest of the transportations (eg. Tozan train/bus/Cable car/sightseeing cruise) still in operation as usual?

Yes

Is it still worth it to buy the Free Pass if we are travelling there from Shinjuku and back?

Yes, the pass should still pay off.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread