Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/24 03:07
Hello Japan Guide Community!

I've read that the volt being used in Japan is 100.

So I went ahead and looked for 100v power cords for my two devices (Charger to Laptop and Camera both works with 100-240v). Also in case it's important, my devices are from Europe and I am currently using an EU plug for both devices.

But after I have been looking for power cords online for quite a while, I've only managed to find a bunch of websites stating that the power cords are 125v.

So, how does that work? How can you use 125v power cords when the volt in Japan is 100?

Link to a couple of the websites I found:

http://www.yung-li.com.tw/en/products/quick_tour_japan.htm

http://www.signalandpower.com/Japan-Power-Cords/YP-15G-Japan/

PS: I hope I am allowed to link to other websites, if not, then I apologise for the inconvenience and feel free to remove the links, they're just used for reference.
by CherryBlossomPetals  

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/24 10:27
The voltage of the cord isn't so important, it's the plug design. Japan uses unpolarized type a plugs, similar to the ones used in North America. From the first page you linked, the ones that are labeled YP-13, YP-14, YP-15 and their variants will work in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/25 01:43
@The voltage of the cord isn't so important, it's the plug design. Japan uses unpolarized type a plugs, similar to the ones used in North America. From the first page you linked, the ones that are labeled YP-13, YP-14, YP-15 and their variants will work in Japan.

Ah I see, I just find it a little confusing that the power cords are using a different voltage. Would that in theory mean that you could use power cords from North America in Japan without any issues? (I believe both power cords are using the same volts).
by CherryBlossomPetals rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/25 05:16
Those power cords are rated to 125 volts. Meaning if you use them to pull 250 volts the cords will likely heat up, melt the plastic casing and burn your house down.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/25 07:24
Would that in theory mean that you could use power cords from North America in Japan without any issues? (I believe both power cords are using the same volts).

Yes, provided they are two pin unpolarized plugs. Polarized plugs (where one pin is wider than the other) might not fit into older outlets, but that generally isn't a problem for travelers unless they stay in older hotels and ryokan.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/27 01:51
@yllwsmrf

Thank you for the information, that was very helpful. I'll keep that in mind. I'll be staying in Remm Akihabara so I guess either would work.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/27 11:54
Using the 125 volt power supply on a 100 volt source will just give a lower charging voltage so it will take longer to charge your devices.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/27 13:14
"Using the 125 volt power supply on a 100 volt source will just give a lower charging voltage so it will take longer to charge your devices. "

This is not correct.

The original poster said he/she already had 100-240V chargers for laptop & camera, but was after a 100V "power cord" to connect between wall socket and chargers.

The mistake was thinking that he/she needed a 100V power cord, if the wall socket voltage is 100V.

With the 100-240V chargers already in hand, you can use any rated power cord between 100-240V, as long as the power plug will fit (is compatible with) the wall socket. The best option is probably to buy an adapter plug that will convert from his/her current power cord, to the Japanese wall socket pin configuration.

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/27 18:44
Adapter plug, and you're good to go.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/28 04:26
@Sandy (guest)

I find it odd that a cord designed to work at higher voltage would work fine with a wall socket that runs at a way lower voltage.

Is it because that a power cord works from 0- for example to 125? So it works from any wall socket source between 0-125? Does the same count for 240 volt power cords? Does they also work between 0-240 voltage? I am probably wrong here, but I am just trying to understand how it works.

@Sandy (guest) @Winter Visitor

I've been looking for an adapter plug for quite a while, but I've been unable to find an adapter for an EU plug to Japanese plug, it's almost always EU to US plugs that pops up. Do any of you know a good place to buy an adapter that would work with my EU plug?

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/28 08:31
@CherryBlossomPetels:

"I find it odd that a cord designed to work at higher voltage would work fine with a wall socket that runs at a way lower voltage.

Is it because that a power cord works from 0- for example to 125? So it works from any wall socket source between 0-125? Does the same count for 240 volt power cords? Does they also work between 0-240 voltage? I am probably wrong here, but I am just trying to understand how it works."

Whether it's designed to run with voltages up to 125V or up to 240V, there are still just two wires that carry the electricity. The key word is "up to".
So a 240V power cord will work from 0V up to 240V. Inclusive of that is both 100V & 125V. The characteristic of the 240V power cord versus the 100V power cord is insulation. The higher the voltage, the larger the gap it can jump (think of a spark). The 100V power cord is designed to withstand 100V jumping between the two wires. If you apply 240V to the same, it's possible it will fail, and cause a fire/overheating.
If you use a 240V power chord instead, the insulation will be able to withstand 240V, and so this includes 100V.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/28 09:13
You can think of it as if you were rating of a balloon. A balloon rated to 125 can be safely blown up to 125 no problem. Go beyond to 240 and it may burst, but less than 125 is no problem. Same thing for a balloon rated to 240. It can safely be blown up to 240, but beyond that we don't know what will happen.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/29 01:01
If all you electronic wizards are done, please use the correct terminology.
A power CORD is simply the WIRE. She is talking about a POWER SUPPLY that changes the AC (Alternating Current) to DC (Direct Current) for charging batteries or running equipment.

by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/29 01:49
If all you electronic wizards are done, please use the correct terminology.
A power CORD is simply the WIRE. She is talking about a POWER SUPPLY that changes the AC (Alternating Current) to DC (Direct Current) for charging batteries or running equipment.

Nope. Check the links the OP provided. They were talking about cords not converters.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/29 06:20
@Sandy (guest) @yllwsmrf

Thank you both for your replies, it helped me to better understand some of the magic behind power cords.

On another note, I was recommended to get an adapter too in this topic and as I'll like to be as prepared as possible, do any of you know a good place to buy EU-plug to JAP-plug adapters online? I've tried searching for one for quite a bit, but sadly without luck.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/29 09:18
@Dick H

"If all you electronic wizards are done, please use the correct terminology.
A power CORD is simply the WIRE. She is talking about a POWER SUPPLY that changes the AC (Alternating Current) to DC (Direct Current) for charging batteries or running equipment."

She already said that she had power supplies for both notebook computer and camera that use 100-240V AC, but needed the "power cord" (= power cable = insulated 2 wire cable to carry AC) to connect the wall socket to her EXISTING power supplies.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/30 11:16
You won't need plug adapeters if you are getting new cords with JP plugs for your power supplies. The new cord will do the same job as an adapter, so it's an either or situation.

Re: Using 125V power cords in Japan? 2015/7/30 18:49
@yllwsmrf

Thank you for your reply. True, but it would be nice to have one in case of issues.

Also however, after a lot of searching around, I've not manged to find a 2-plug cable for my laptop (only managed to find countless 3-plug), a 2-plug was available for the camera however.

The issue here is that the hotel only has 2-plugs available, so I'll like to get an adapter in this case, that way I'm ensured my laptop would be able to get powered right from the start of the trip, so I wouldn't have to rush to get power cords right from the start of the trip.

reply to this thread