Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama View 2015/7/28 12:30
We are heading for Arashiyama this November. From Hankyu Arashiyama station we will walk to the other side of the bridge till we get to the Bamboo Groves for sightseeing. We are not taking the Sagano scenic train though.

I'm just wondering, where in particular can we see or have a glimpse of these sights

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/9403026207_e63e114789_h.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3762/9403041059_c824a84028_h.jpg

Is it before crossing the bridge or it's already near the bamboo groves? thanks
by Owen (guest)  

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/28 14:37
#1 - as you can see it was taken from a higher point, you'll have to climb the mountain for this shot
#2 - this is after you cross the bridge

by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/28 15:38
is it near the bamboo groves? should I follow the Sagano train below? is that the river? thanks
by Owen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/28 21:51
is it near the bamboo groves? should I follow the Sagano train below? is that the river? thanks

It is walkable. 10 minutes give an take.
If you want to follow it, go ahead. Though it is mostly woods, and hard to travel by foot. There is a boat ride. Hiking trails.... Too much of hassle if you ask me.

It is river. It enters Arashiyama. Goes under Togetsukyo bridge.

You can walk along the river, enter Tenryuji Gradens, Enter Bamboo forest. Take train from Bamboo forest Romantic Train to last station, take slow boat back to Kyoto.
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/28 22:02
#1 the (monkey) mountain is on the left of the river, so that's before crossing the bridge. I heard that it's a steep climb though. I didn't bother myself.

#2 you'll have to walk 5-10mins along the river after crossing the bridge.

after that it will take another 10-15mins to the bamboo grove, which is IMO one if not the most underwhelming sightseeing spot that I have been to. During peakdays you won't even have a chance to stand still there and it gets pretty dark in there. Whatever you do, I advise you to go early.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/29 10:03
Thanks for all the inputs... Yes we will be very early for Arashiyama. It will be our first stop... say 9 AM and I hope this time is not yet too crowded

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/29 10:48
#1, at the end of the bamboo groove (where you can see entrance to Okochi-sanso), follow the path to the left heading to an open area/park. Shortly you will see a path heading up and climb for about 10 minutes, and you will find the exact spot to view this.

I didn't expect to find this place when I explored the area. Most tourists will take right path after Bamboo Groove as I think it's heading to the train station. Only very few locals went there and no one was there when I reached the spot. It's such a rewarding view which picture alone can't justify :).

#2, after you found #1, go down the path and back to the park. There's not much people here as well, but eventually it will lead you to the river where you can find this view.

Hope this helps.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/29 12:26
Looks like someone has been colour enhancing their photos - it is impressive, but not like a high-contrast tv setting.

First one you can get by walking along the river bank. There is a path up to the top of the hill from there (about 10 minutes) to get the second pic. There is some back-tracking. I have an almost identical picture http://japancustomtours.co.nz/blog.htm#Nov2014
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/29 14:42
I'll keep these in mind. thank you thank you so much guys

Re: Arashiyama View 2015/7/29 21:37
after that it will take another 10-15mins to the bamboo grove, which is IMO one if not the most underwhelming sightseeing spot that I have been to.

Hehe. I guess you haven't been to the canal area of Otaru in Hokkaido.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread