Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/7/28 15:18
Hai everyone
I will be going to Japan on Oct 2015 with my husband
here is my rough itenerary:
Tue, 13 Oct 2015 ARRIVE TOKYO NARITA
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 DISNEYLAND
Thurs, 15 Oct 2015 DISNEYsea
Fri, 16 Oct 2015 HITACHI SEASIDE PARK (back to TOkyo)
Sat, 17 Oct 2015 MT FUJI KAWAGUCHI Lake (back to Tokyo)
Sun, 18 Oct 2015 TATEYAMA KUROBO ALPINE ROUTE
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 TAYAMA/KANAZAWA -SHIRIKAWAGO
Tue, 20 Oct 2015 KYOTO
Wed 21 Oct 2015 KYOTO
Thur, 22 Oct 2015 KYOTO-OSAKA
Fri, 23 Oct 2015 OSAKA
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 OSAKA-TOKYO
Sun, 25 Oct 2015 TOKYO
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 DEPART TOKYO - NARITA

Do you think my itinerary make senses?
Do you think I should buy the 7 days JR pass or the 14 days JR pass?
Any recommendations on places to stay? preferably around 10,000yen or bellow
must go and must eat places will be usefull
Any other suggestion will be most welcome.. this is the first time I arrange itinerary so its kinda confusing.

thank you very much
by cyjoe49  

Re: Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/7/30 07:15
Hi cyjoe49

Looks like a great itinerary! A few suggestions:
First
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 TAYAMA/KANAZAWA -SHIRIKAWAGO
This would all be hard to do in 1 day. Pick either Takayama or Kanazawa or Shirikawago. (my vote is for Kanazawa, but that is my favorite).
Second:
Thur, 22 Oct 2015 BASED in KYOTO-Day trip to OSAKA
Fri, 23 Oct 2015 Day Trip to OSAKA
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 Kyoto to TOKYO
Sun, 25 Oct 2015 TOKYO
You will save so much time not having to switch hotels. Have you Base be Kyoto and just do two day trips to Osaka
Three:
I would get a JR West Pass or JR 14 Day Pass (NOT the JR 7 day pass, it will NOT pay off)
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hokuriku.html
Take a look at Hyperdia.com to see costs and choose between the two. I do not think the JR 14 day will pay off for you, but double check me. The nice thing, if you want the JR 14 day pass, it will make travel easier. The west pass I would activate in Kanazawa before you go to Kyoto. You could also choose to not get a pass.
Four:
Kyoto Hana Hostel would be my recommendation for Kyoto. It will be traditional Japanese sleeping but you can get a private room with your own bathroom for well under your budget. Plus they speak perfect english
Five:
For Tokyo hotel check out this site:
http://hotel.tokyogigguide.com/
It is a site for budget hotels in Tokyo and you can look by area
There is also hotel Mystays in Ueno. Very nice hotel usually around 10,000 - 8,000 yen a night
Six:
Think about getting a day bus pass in Kyoto. If you are going to be going on and off the bus more than 2 times the bus pass pays for itself. Its 500yen for the Kyoto day bus pass.

Hope this helps. Have fun on your trip!
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/7/30 17:45
You might want to do Osaka in one day and two nights. Two nights meaning taking a train from Kyoto. Kyoto does have night life but most restaurants except the posch ones closes early.

I second the Kanazawa and the rail pass opinion. You can also do Hiroshima/miyajima within a day. Or visit both Kobe and Himeji in a day.
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Needs help on KYOTO/OSAKA, KANAZAWA ACCOMO 2015/8/1 12:51
Dear Anne and Joshua Hugh

thank you very much for you reply it is very useful for me. especially about the hana hostel in kyoto.. unfortunately it was fully booked. and i still find it hard to find hostel that are not fully booked.. is this always the case?? how long so people usually do their booking before actual staying? i might have to book a more expensive hotel instead..

base in your input I have decided to go to Kanazawa and just a short trip to shirakawago (maybe just a few hours to look around)

I might buy the 14 days JR pass. after calculating some of the extra trains i need to take if i only buy the 7 days JR pass the differences with the price of the 14 days JR is very little so I might just buy the 14 days JR pass. I can just activate straight away from narita on arrival and use it until the day of my departure.. should save money on transportation..

so now i'am kinda fixed on the dates and where to go.. only thing is i still haven't find place to stay that suite my needs and fits into my budget..

so if anyone have any suggestion on KYOTO/OSAKA , KANAZAWA ACCOMMODATION please inform me.. thank you very much..

by cyjoe49 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/8/1 13:03
Having traveled to Japan annually (sometimes bi-annually) for the last decade, I can tell you from experience that it is essential to book accommodation early.

I typically book from 4-6 months in advance. Places fill up very quickly! Also, due the weaker yen and less restrictive visa requirements for visitors from other Asian countries, Japan has seen the number of visitors increase substantially in the last two years.

So, yes, it is important to book as early as possible contrary to what one of the posters in this post has implied! And, yes, October is also a very popular month for travel to Japan.

I am sure with some diligence, you will find something, but start looking soon.

Enjoy your trip :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/8/1 13:46
Hai Ohara

Yes.. I have been looking... But so far all of the accommodations that suite my needs that I have contacted are all fully booked.. I am trying to avoid business hotels but I might have no choice as there are lots lots lots and lots of business hotels in every cities.. they must at least have one room for me =)

Anyway thank you for your input.. if you have any advice on where to stay , it will be very useful for me..

thank you
by cyjoe49 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/8/1 16:13
Anne's link to Tokyo accommodation is a great link. Have you tried to book any of the places from her link?

Here is a link for Osaka:
http://www.osakahotel-web.com/economy/

I will also look for a link for Kyoto and post it.

I tend to stay in more mid-range hotels and ryokans, so I do not know about some of the places you are seeking offhand.

Re: Is my Itinerary possible? 2015/8/1 16:17
Here is a link for Kyoto and a great resource generally:
http://www.insidekyoto.com/best-budget-hotels-in-kyoto

I would also suggest trying Tripadvisor because the site lists a wide range of options and access to multiple booking sites all in one place.

Good Luck :)

reply to this thread