Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass for children 2015/7/28 16:20
Hi all,

I need help and more information about the JR Pass please,
as we will travelling on September from tokyo-Osaka.

as we have to buy the JR PASS outside japan,I'm a bit confused with my child ticket, he is 3 yrs old, and according the website, I dont need to buy ticket mean free ( I'm over the moon already)
however does is mean he not gonna get seat? Or will do?
any ideas about this please share, Thank you
because I just worry if he doesnt get any seat, means he have to sit with me for the 3 hrs straight, dont think I cant handle it.

Any information will be appreciate it
Thank you so much
by DoubleO (guest)  

Re: JR Pass for children 2015/7/29 01:33
Children below 6 years of age rides free. If you are riding in the reserved seat section, your child can be seated if the reserved seat near yours is unoccupied, but he will have to give it up when the other pax turns up. Alternatively, he give up his seat when the train conductor does his checks. In the unreserved seat section, it is not likely that the train conductor will object to his occupying a seat. We travelled in Japan very often with my son when he was below 6 and never had any problem. Other than peak travel period, there are always ample seats available. In short, don't need to worry and enjoy.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for children 2015/7/29 01:44
Remember to read the terms and conditions printed on your JR National Rail Pass. Purchase an exchange order overseas and turn it in for the rail pass in Japan. You cannot board Nozomi and Mizuho (ex Osaka) bullet trains. Only Hikari and Kodama (stops all stations). And if you want to experience it, the Hayabusa running north to Shin Aomori is covered. And they also have double decker bullet trains, I think to Niigata, and some places, especially on weekends, steam engines which is also covered by the pass. Japaa is a train paradise.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for children 2015/7/29 02:02
In most cases, if the seats aren't taken and the conductors doesn't mind, you are ok, but in theory children travel for free cannot use a seat and must sit on your lap.

If you must have a reserved seat then you must purchase a children JR pass, even for age under 6.

go to JR east official home page and check out the details.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: JR fees for children 2015/7/29 12:17
we will be travelling on September from Tokyo to Osaka.

Will that be the only long-distance leg in this journey?
A Japan Rail Pass does not pay off in just traveling from Tokyo Station via Shin-Osaka Station to Osaka Station, in which case the total amount of JR regular fess (= basic fare + supplement(s)) is much lower than the price of a 7-Day Ordinary-Class JRP.
(In Osaka City, Shinkansen trains use Shin-Osaka Station.)

he is 3 yrs old
he is not gonna get seat?

That will depend on crowdedness in trains.

Please note that if he solely uses a seat which can be reserved, JR child-rate fees (= basic fare + supplement(s)) are required.

In most cases, a JR Shinkansen or Limited Express train has cars equipped with seats which cannot be reserved.
(One exception is a "Narita Express" [N'EX] train, whose all seats can be reserved.)

When in September 2015 will you travel?
The three days from the 21st through the 23rd of September 2015, which will fall on Monday through Wednesday, will be legal holidays in Japan.
So, many people in Japan can travel during the 19th through the 23rd of September 2015.

JR rules on fees for passengers under 6 years are like the following.
(A) When a passenger under 6 years travels by JR, if he/she solely uses a facility which can be reserved in a train, JR child-rate fees apply.
(B) A baby passenger under 1 year, unless the condition in (A) is met, can travel by JR free of fees.
(C) Up to two passenger(s) under 6 years (except any baby passenger under 1 year) accompanied by one 6-or-more-year-old passenger, unless the condition in (A) is met, can travel by JR free of fees.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread