Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

My first trip to Japan 2015/7/29 19:26
Hello everyone,

I'm going to Japan for the first time in October (from the 11 to the 25) and I have sooo much questions (and excitement) !

First, my itinerary. I'm arriving in tokyo and planned to stay there for 2 - 3 days and then go to Hakone for a day and stay there(for Mt Fuji). Then Osaka and Kobe and finish with Hiroshima (and go back to tokyo for the 23rd october). I haven't yet workout how long I will stay in each place. What do you think about my itinerary ? Should I add a few spot worth it ?

Is a JR pass rail worth it in my case ?
I will be 18, may I encounter any problem ?

I like museums, but for my first time in Japan I don't really want to stay inside a museum all day, but, is there one I shouldn't miss ?

Sorry, my post is a bit messy and I have probably forgot a lot of questions I had. Also, sorry for my english.

Thank for reading my post, have a nice day :=)
by PowerPonney  

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/29 21:21
Consider spending some time in Kyoto.

Also if you have any interest in castles there is a beautiful original one in Himeji which would be on your way when going from Osaka/Kobe to Hiroshima.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/29 21:53
If you are going to Tokyo-Hiroshima-Tokyo, the JR 14 day pass will be beneficial. Can also cover NEX from Narita to Tokyo. Kyoto for a couple of days is a must. Hiroshima (incl Miyajima Island) for two nights. Enjoy your first experience of amazing Japan !
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/29 22:06
Thank you very much for your replies !

Or course, Kyoto is on my list (forgot to mention it) !

I think that with your ideas, the JR pass 14 will be benefitial, for the NEX from Narita to Tokyo..Sadly I arrive at Haneda..

Miyajima Island looks amazing, is there a ferry from Hiroshima ? Also, would you recommend to stay on the island or in Hiroshima ?

by PowerPonney rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/29 22:24
I did not check for accommodation on the island when I visited Miyajima. There should be a small number of ryokans.
I guess staying in Hiroshima will be easier, since it takes about 15-20 mins. by local train to the Miyajima station.

From there you can take a quick ferry to the island.
The nice thing is that the ferry is a JR one, so the cost is covered by the Rail pass (somebody told me that it's the only JR ferry in Japanc)
by MatBat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/30 04:13
I looked it up, and yes, the pass cover the ferry to Miyajima Island.

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/30 17:23
You can take the haneda to Tokyo train with the jr pass.

Staying in miyajima is a great experience. However, it's really pricey. (Compared to Hiroshima) There are hostels there, though it's up to you whether you like to mingle and share lodgings with strangers.
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/30 19:45
I will arrive at haneda around 11:00 pm so the JR office is likely to be closed at that time.

Thank yu for your comments, anyone could answer my previous questions ?

Have a nice day :)

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/30 23:22
Most castles in Japan stores the artefacts used during the castle's heyday.
Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and Tokyo have many museums. Car museums. Train museums. Science museums. Art museums. Earthquake museum. Cultural museums. Any particular museum you interested in?
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/30 23:42
The JR Pass covers the JR Ferry from Miyajimaguchi to Miyajima and back ONLY. It doesn't cover the ferries that leave from Hiroshima port. You can take the Sanyo Line from Hiroshima Station to Miyajimaguchi Station to get to the correct ferry departure point.

Also, you can visit Hiroshima in one day since the main attractions are relatively close and within walking distance. Miyajima can take a day. Therefore, I would suggest only one night in Hiroshima if you leave Kyoto early enough to make it to Hiroshima by noon.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/30 23:43
I would be interested in a museum about WWII

New question : Would it be possible to do Kawaguchi lake and Hakone on the same day?

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 01:46
New question : Would it be possible to do Kawaguchi lake and Hakone on the same day?
If you rent a car, you can do both but it would still be tight. Recommend two days if you want to do both.

Hope this helps!!!
Have Fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 02:33
Where would you recommend to stay ? Hakone or Kawaguchi ?

I will make an early plan for my trip so I can get your feedbacks !

Thank you so much all =)

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 04:16
So ! This how my itenerary looks like today !

Oct 11 : Arriving very late at Haneda. Stay in Tokyo for the night.
Oct 12 : Visit Tokyo
Oct 13 : Visit Tokyo, leave for Kawaguchi and stay for the night there
Oct 14 : Admire Mt Fuji and leave for Hakone in the evening
Oct 15: Waking up in Hakone, leave for Kyoto in the evening
Oct 16 : Kyoto
Oct 17: Kyoto, leave for Osaka in the evening
Oct 18: Osaka
Oct 19: Leave for Kobe in the afternoon.
Oct 20 : Leave Kobe to Hiroshima, stop at Himeji on the way. Sleep in Hiroshima.
Oct 21 : Visit Hiroshima and Miyajima Island. Sleep either on the island or in Hiroshima again.

I have to be back in tokyo on Friday 23th.. How does my itenerary sounds ? I'm realising I have a bit more time than what I thought...Would you add anything ?

Cheers :)

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 07:44
Oct 14 : Admire Mt Fuji and leave for Hakone in the evening

Looks not bad. Really don't need to see both Kawaguchi and Hakone at the same trip I think. I recommend Kawaguchi first thought.

Oct 17: Kyoto, leave for Osaka in the evening
Oct 18: Osaka
Oct 19: Leave for Kobe in the afternoon.

Is there anything else your interested in Kobe beside the beef? If it just the beef, then you don't really need to overnight here

Oct 20 : Leave Kobe to Hiroshima, stop at Himeji on the way. Sleep in Hiroshima.
Oct 21 : Visit Hiroshima and Miyajima Island. Sleep either on the island or in Hiroshima again.

Since you got most of your Tokyo at the end Oct 22-25, I would say maybe one more night for Kyoto/Osaka area. You could go enjoy more of Osaka or go to Nara day trip.

Hope this helps!!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 08:41
Agree with Koohii2wii that you should spend an extra night in the Kyoto/Osaka area as opposed to Kobe.

By the way, have you booked your accommodation yet? October is a busy month in Japan and many places are already booked up.
by Ohara, (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 19:42
Thank you for your replies.

I believe I'll skip Hakone and head directly to Kyoto and stay one more night in Osaka (instead I'll go to kobe as a day trip, try out the beef of course).

Is Nagoya worth it ? Maybe I could add a day in Nara since I have time.

I haven't book anything yet. Is October really that crowded ? Could you recommend me an area to stay at in Tokyo ?

Thank you =)

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 20:53
1. Kobe Beef is not limited to Kobe. Osaka and other cities has it too. In fact, the AAA grade 10 beef you eat that day may not even by Kobe but some other Wagyu beef. It is a supplier thing.

2. Whether you want to go to Nara for half a day, a full day, or go to Uji, or Ise, or whatever else is up to you. I would spend a day more in Kyoto, Uji, or a town outside Kyoto city but within the prefecture.

3. Nagoya is interesting but i would not recommend it to a tourist. Especially to a first timer to Japan. Do spend your time going to the more highly rated attractions. Nagoya is more to feel the common local culture and residents lifestyle without the crowds of Tokyo. (Tokyo is the only such city in Japan after all)

4. October not really.

5. Along the Yamanote line is good. Meaning Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Akihabara... etc
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 21:13
Yes of course I'm aware about that for the beef, I will before going anywhere, but I think spending an evening in Kobe would be nice anyway :)

Nagoya sounds like a place I would enjoy, being away from crowded places and feel the japanese culture is a part of what I'm looking for..

Thank for the advise, I will start looking for a hotel in tokyo for when I arrive.

PS: I will update my itinerary soon including your advise ! Thank you all !

Re: My first trip to Japan 2015/7/31 22:08
Updated itinerary :

Oct 14 : Admire Mt Fuji and leave for Kyoto in the evening
Oct 17: Kyoto
Oct 18: Kyoto, leave for Osaka in the afternoon, stop at Nara on the way
Oct 19: Osaka (visit Kobe aswell)
Oct 20 : Leave Osaka to Hiroshima, stop at Himeji on the way. Sleep in Hiroshima.

What do you think ?

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread