Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/30 18:09
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone give me some advice, we will be leaving Kyoto to go to Tokyo and on that day we wouldn't be doing much else and really want to check out Kanazawa, would it be worth getting the early train to Kanazawa from Kyoto and spending the day checking out Kanazawa before heading back by Shinkansen to Tokyo?

Thanks in advance

Jon
by Rinupanu  

Re: Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/30 21:10
Your plan is OK if you don't mind spending a large portion of your day on the train, but there is so much to see you might wish you'd planned to spend the night there.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/30 21:15
Thanks SkipperL, I don't mind spending a lot of the day on the train, it's nice to see the scenery anyway and we want to make use of the Jr pass, I appreciate that it would be better to spend the night but I need to get to Tokyo that night, there wouldn't be much else we would do in Tokyo or Kyoto that day otherwise.
by Rinupanu rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/30 22:00
If you get an early start you can have nearly the whole day in Kanazawa, using the Thunderbird Lim. Express.
Thunderbird 1 leaves Kyoto at 0738, arrives Kanazawa 0946.
Thunderbird 3 leaves Kyoto at 0810, arrives Kanazawa 1023.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/30 22:35
Thanks Dick H, should be able to get 6-8 hours in that way!

The train back to Tokyo is about 2.5-3 hours, my hotel is 15 minutes walk from Tokyo station so not too bad.

Thanks

Jon

Re: Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/31 02:45
I'm planning to visit Kanazawa next year and I have some info. you may find useful. There is a Y500 1-day pass for the Kanazawa Loop Bus that goes through all the important places.

K. LOOP BUS http://www.kanazawa-tourism.com/eng/guide/guide2.php
Loop Bus Route Map http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v125/p1360985740-5.jpg
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa day trip 2015/7/31 04:19
Hi Dick,

Thanks very much, thats really helpful positive information!

I'll be taking a look into this as it sounds like a great plan.

Jon

reply to this thread