Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/30 19:17
I've been searching around for an adapter for quite a while, but I am just very confused on a few points, so I hope you folks can help me out.

First I'll provide the general information:
- All of my devices have 100-240v written on them, so I am not in need of a voltage converter.
- All of my devices are from Europe and uses an Europlug (Europe-plug).
- I need an adapter that would convert my EU-plug to work in a Japanese wall socket.

It seems to be hard to get an EU- to JP-plug directly, instead it always seems to be a combo between an EU- to NA/JP-plug. I've been told by several users on here, that the plug is very similar and the NA plug would fit in most modern Japanese wall sockets.

So here is my question:

The volt in North America (110-120v) differ from the volt in Japan (100v), so does it matter and would it work in a modern Japanese wall socket if an EU- to NA-plug adapter has 110v-120v written on it? Does it have to be 100v or would any EU-plug to NA-plug work in modern Japanese wall sockets?

I've not managed to find 100v adapters that's why I am wondering.
by CherryBlossomPetals  

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 10:33
As mentioned on your other thread, you should be looking at plug design, not the voltage rating. Japan and NA both use type A plugs. Generally speaking, non-polarized plugs are slightly more universal because polarized plugs might not fit in really old sockets, but this is probably a non-issue if you are getting a plug adapter. So to answer your questions:

The volt in North America (110-120v) differ from the volt in Japan (100v), so does it matter and would it work in a modern Japanese wall socket if an EU- to NA-plug adapter has 110v-120v written on it?

No

Does it have to be 100v or would any EU-plug to NA-plug work in modern Japanese wall sockets?

Any should work

If you are going the plug adapter route then get one and bring an outlet strip. The adapter goes on the outlet strip and your devices plug into that.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 14:23
As mentioned on your other thread, you should be looking at plug design, not the voltage rating. Japan and NA both use type A plugs. Generally speaking, non-polarized plugs are slightly more universal because polarized plugs might not fit in really old sockets, but this is probably a non-issue if you are getting a plug adapter.

Hello, yllwsmrf and thanks for once again coming to my rescue.
Thanks for making that clear, the voltage rating really made me hesitant when I was searching for adapters, but that sounds great.

I remember you mentioning the deal with non- and polarized plugs in my last thread, that shouldn't be a problem as my hotel is pretty modern (Remm Akihabara).

The volt in North America (110-120v) differ from the volt in Japan (100v), so does it matter and would it work in a modern Japanese wall socket if an EU- to NA-plug adapter has 110v-120v written on it?

No

This reply could be understood in two ways, but based on your response below I believe you're replying to "does it matter" - No, as in, it doesn't matter, correct?

Any should work

Thank you so much for your help, the deal with the voltage really had me confused.

If you are going the plug adapter route then get one and bring an outlet strip. The adapter goes on the outlet strip and your devices plug into that.

That's actually a great idea, I didn't think of using an outlet strip, I'll keep that in mind. I'll prefer to go "both routes"* just in case of something happens, I prefer having a backup plan ^^

But like I mentioned, I haven't had luck finding a fitting power cable for my laptop, so I thought to look around in Akihabara, so this solution would be suitable, so my laptop will be able to get powered right from the start of the trip.

* = I asked about power cords in my other thread, as I originally wanted to purchase Japanese power cords for my devices.
by CherryBlossomPetals rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 14:32
I remember you mentioning the deal with non- and polarized plugs in my last thread, that shouldn't be a problem as my hotel is pretty modern (Remm Akihabara).

Yea, sorry I just wanted to write it out again in case people only see this thread.

This reply could be understood in two ways, but based on your response below I believe you're replying to "does it matter" - No, as in, it doesn't matter, correct?

Haha, I didn't realize there were actually two questions in there. That's right, I meant that it shouldn't matter.

Thank you so much for your help, the deal with the voltage really had me confused.

No worries, it's confusing to almost everybody.

I'll prefer to go "both routes"* just in case of something happens, I prefer having a backup plan ^^

Sounds like a good plan!

But like I mentioned, I haven't had luck finding a fitting power cable for my laptop, so I thought to look around in Akihabara, so this solution would be suitable, so my laptop will be able to get powered right from the start of the trip.

Yea, no use wasting sightseeing time looking for some part. If possible I definitely prefer to get those things settled beforehand.

Have a good trip!
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 15:14
Yea, sorry I just wanted to write it out again in case people only see this thread.

Perfectly understandable.

Have a good trip!

Thank you kindly ^^

I just realised I had another question I forgot to include.

How much does the amp the adapter has matter? Does it depend on my devices?

I've found a few adapters some have 1 amp, others 3 amp or 10 amp.

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 16:51
I apologise for double post, but I just wanted to include the specs of my devices.

Laptop:
Input 100-240v ~ 1.2A 50-60 hz
Output 19v 2.37A

Camera:
Input 100-240v ~ 8VA 50-60 hz
Output 4.2v 0.41A

Do I have to aim for 2.37A and above? Is that how it works?

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 22:50
Output in this case means the power your adapters are supplying to your gear; it's taking whatever power you've plugged into and converting it to 19 volts 2.37 amps, in the case of your laptop.

What you need to look at is the amperage of the input and buy according to that. The laptop has an amperage of 1.3A and the camera, 8A (you've typed 8VA, I'm assuming this was a typo as I've not come across this before.)

Get an adapter with a 13 Amp fuse and you'll be fine. The fuse is purely there to break and cut the power if there's an excessive surge of current.
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/7/31 23:14
http://www.amazon.co.uk/STOREINBOX-Universal-Charger-Charging-Converte...

STOREINBOX Universal EU UK AU to US USA AC Travel Power Plug Charger Charging Adapter Converter

this is all you need.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/8/1 01:36
What you need to look at is the amperage of the input and buy according to that. The laptop has an amperage of 1.3A and the camera, 8A (you've typed 8VA, I'm assuming this was a typo as I've not come across this before.)

Ah sounds simple enough.

In regards to the "8VA" I thought it was weird too, but that's literally what was written on my camera charger, so I am quite clueless to what that means. 8A sounds like a lot for a camera charger if the laptop only has 1.3A (You might have mistyped here, as only 1.2A is written at the input for the laptop).

Get an adapter with a 13 Amp fuse and you'll be fine. The fuse is purely there to break and cut the power if there's an excessive surge of current.

13A sounds like a lot on the adapters I've checked, but it's good to know, thank you.

@ken (guest)

Thanks for the link ^^ I have looked into one similar to this.

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/8/1 16:37
laptop computers and digital cameras are operated by battery.
the AC input is supplied for (re)charging battery.
it should be OK with a weak power.
"Output 19v 2.37A" means 19x2.37=45.03VA=45.03W
if you use a converter from 200V AC to 100V AC,
0.225A at 200V or 0.45A at 100V is fine.
since there is always some loss when conversion, 100W converter is perfect for you.
for your camera, it uses electricity only 4.2x0.41W for charging .

generally, the power of 13A at 200V may be enough to damage humans.
in Japan, each AC code is regulated by an electric breaker of 15A 100V (1500W). 1500W is enough to operate an air conditioner.

I hope I have not forgotten a physics of junior high school level.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/8/2 06:51
Hi,
Most likely you want to charge or use more than one device at the same time. So you need more adapters. Dependig where you buy them they can be expensive.
An alternative is to take an extension cord from your home country with several outlets and buy just one adapter (from EU to Japan sprongs).
Even more inexpensive is to take just the extension cord from your home country, cut of the plug, and mount a plug you buy in Japan.

Have a nice trip

B. Slager

by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/8/2 16:14
Unless they changed plugs all over Europe, each European country as a different type of plug...

for Japan and the US you need a plug with 2 flat prongs...

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
by Rueful renard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/8/2 20:43
An alternative is to take an extension cord from your home country with several outlets and buy just one adapter (from EU to Japan sprongs).
Even more inexpensive is to take just the extension cord from your home country, cut of the plug, and mount a plug you buy in Japan.

Thank you, I actually just bought an outlet strip as I had it recommneded by another user as well. I wouldn't have the guts to try and sort out an outlet strip myself as I am not very experienced with things like that, even though it's probably simple enough.

for Japan and the US you need a plug with 2 flat prongs...

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

I've used that site a bit as well. My most difficult problem was that I couldn't find a type A with any decent amps. I ended up getting 2 brands of 2.5A Type A adapters, as I could only find Type B with 10A-15A.

My Conclusion below:

I ended up buying like I mentioned above, 2 different brands of Type A (check link above) adapters with 2.5 A/250 VAC written on them and an outlet strip to go with them as well. The reason I bought two is just in case one might be faulty.

To everyone who have helped me in this thread, thank you very much for all your help.

Re: EU- to JP/US-plug Adapter 2015/8/4 13:56
USA and Japan use the same plug but Japan doesn't have the 3 prong plugs from what I heard
by americanperson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread