Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/7/31 04:07
Hi there!

I'm thinking of visiting Japan this fall / winter. I'm a big fan of snowy land and cityscapes, but the fall colours on the trees seem equally nice. I was wondering, in a more-or-less two-week visit, is it possible for me to see both the autumn colours and snow (already happy with like 10-30cm of it). I was thinking I could fly into Tokyo, and out via Osaka, travelling via Matsumoto and the east coast?

Hope to hear from you!
Daniel
by Daniel Craanen (guest)  

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/7/31 10:55
Snow doesn't fall at the start of winter - it falls well after the autumn leaves have. Therefore, if you restrict yourself to Tokyo/Osaka, you'll only see the autumn leaves. They last for weeks; mid to late November is the best time for them.
To see snow at the same time, try Hokkaido. I'm not sure if there is snowfall there in late November/early December, but it is much colder and further ahead in the seasons than the rest of Japan.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/7/31 11:32
Plan the trip around late Nov and take the following route:
Tokyo – Matsumoto – Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route – Kanazawa – Shirakawago – Takayama – Kyoto – Osaka

Late Nov to early Dec is autumn foliage season in Tokyo and the Kansai region (Kyoto and Osaka). In average year snow starts to fall up the Alpine Route during Oct but be sure to be there before Nov 30 after which access would be denied. With a bit of luck you may also see snow in Shirakawago during late Nov although early Dec is a better bet in that part of Japan.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/7/31 12:26
You could check the area around Niigata prefecture. The climate history says the city (on the coast) gets an average 12 snowfall days per year in December and has one of the highest snowfalls in Japan.

Takayama gets an average 87cm of snow in December, but this might be later in the month, rather than early (some snow can arrive at the end of November).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/7/31 16:07
Hi all,
Thanks for the answers.
So do I understand it correctly if I say that I could go to Tokyo around say 26 november, then travel via the japanese Alps & Matsumoto to Kyoto and Osaka, arriving there around the 6th of december, and then have autumn colours in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Osaka, and an OK change for snow in the alps and matsumoto?
Best
Daniel
by Daniel Craanen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/8/1 01:35
Yes, you get the general idea. Although a lot still depends on the unpredictable weather you should be able to see snow up the Alpine Route, just remember to go before Nov 30! But for Matsumoto the chance for snow there is not that great during that period.

If you have time in Takayama do a side trip to Shin-Hotaka. Take the double-decker ropeway up the mt and you will most probably see more snow.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/8/1 04:08
Assuming that you are getting into Osaka/Kyoto after 1 December, you'll find that the colours are generally past their peak. There will be the odd yellow or red or orange tree but plenty will be brown. My experience has been that the colours are strong in the third week of November, but then once the icy winds start they brown off pretty quick. But that is a generalisation and it is unpredictable.

If you want a better chance of snow at that time, I'd suggest going to Nagano and one of the ski areas around it, then on to Kanazawa from there. Some years they have heavy snow in mid November.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/8/2 13:10
The autumn colours will almost certainly be gone from Tokyo/Kansai by the 6th of December. You need to go in mid-November.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/8/2 14:26
I recommend to come in November and combine the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpen Route where you should be able to see snow around Murodo with one or two of the many autumn color destinations that are at their peak during November. See a list of them here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

Note that towards the end of November, it happens quite often that the western approach to the Alpen Route is closed temporarily because the buses cannot run due to too much snow. You can reduce the risk of complications by visiting earlier during the month or use the Eastern approach from Nagano.

The autumn colours will almost certainly be gone from Tokyo/Kansai by the 6th of December. You need to go in mid-November.

Mid November is usually too early for Tokyo and usually only towards the beginning of the season in Kyoto. The peak in Kyoto usually happens in late November, and in Tokyo often not until early December. Some late-coloring spots in Tokyo can be nice into mid December. But most spots in Kyoto will have lost colorful leaves by December 6.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn colours and snow in a two-week visit? 2015/8/3 09:44
Ooookay. So as it stands I could be in Tokyo on the 25th of november, or maybe a day or two earlier. Then fly again on the 7th of December. That should be good then, yes?

Also, is couchsurfing a thing in Japan or does anyone of you feel like hosting a random person? ':D
by Daniel Craanen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread